What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lagging / Freezing / IOS 8 ??

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just curious since I've never tried.... I downloaded the .ips and it is sitting unused on my Mac. So even tho I have it is is still not possible? Or are you saying it is not possible because it's not available for fresh download?
If my information is right, you're not able to downgrade to iOS 7.1.2, using iTunes and the file only, after the "window" is closed. iTunes will make sure that you're updating to the latest version, "talking" with Apple servers (verifying).

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well the update saga for my iPad 2 has come to a very satisfactory conclusion at last.
I initially updated to iOS 8 from iOS 7.1.2, and that's where the problems started. I did the update over wifi, which I now believe was a bad idea. Everything was as though the iPad had developed Alzheimer's, it was slow to respond and things were missing. I managed to revert to iOS 7.1.2, but Sync failed in iTunes and I couldn't turn on iCloud backup ( it kept throwing me back to the home screen).

So today after a lot of hair pulling I bit the bullet and used iTunes to update to iOS 8.0.2. I was very wary at first, but it all went smoothly.

I really can't believe it, it's as fast as it ever was, there's no appreciable lag (except maybe for iBooks ), I've tuned iCloud backup on again, and if anything, for most things the iPad appears to be faster (if that's possible).

Sorry for the long post, but I'm over the moon that I don't have to spend out for a new iPad yet!

Steve

jon229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes will make sure that you're updating to the latest version, "talking" with Apple servers (verifying).
JA:
Thanks, the verification part is what I was not sure about. I'll forget about backleveling.

As an aside, I updated 8.0 to 8.0.2 and still was not entirely happy. The advice to do the full reset, helped a lot. I was releasing the buttons as soon as the screen went blank but you mentioned to hold buttons until logo appeared. That seems to be what I needed. After that, the only slowness I have is on first use of an app. So anyone reading....if you didn't hold until logo appeared, try that. It is still a bit slower than iOS 7 but much better than I was experiencing before doing the above reset.

Most reactions

Latest posts