What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lagging / Freezing / IOS 8 ??

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
3 apps background refresh/location services.

Wow, I guess we know for sure it isn't the number of applications using background app refresh/location services. Still doesn't answer why some devices on the same generation works fine while other devices work terribly.

xardoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No it doesn't, but I am just one data point would be nice to hear some configs of those that think the new OS has mostly the same interface response. Believe me I would have rather left it on because there maybe some app updates that require it or some such at some point, but it was just too much lagging of everything where you had to interact with things, opening, swiping etc.

jon229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FWIW, my wireless-only ip2 is 32gb (17gb free) and the upgrade to ios8 has the annoying lag that didn't exist in ios7. I assumed it was the ram but after reading above I guess not. I have location service off for most apps. I was tempted to go back to ios7 but I think I've waited too long and still haven't tried 8.0.2.

Charlie Fox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:( I just Updated my iPad a few days back.. As in other Posts I've read Lagging / Freezing / Just plane not responding as previously.. What could it be ?? For me I find slow to respond to the touch, kinda lost the sweet spot if you will kinda thing..lol.. ie: On YouTube.. If I wanted to move the video along just tapped and moved the dot video & sound would continue instantaneously.. Now it doesn't respond right away.. Have to Tap around looking for that sweet spot..lol.. If it's me and something is out of sink or a Setting turned off. ... Please Tell ...Cheers. Thanks.. :confused: :oops:
I updated, and yes I have noticed the lag especially the internet but I'm staying with it, whats a few seconds out of your day, and I love the keyboard and Siri

auntymaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FWIW, my wireless-only ip2 is 32gb (17gb free) and the upgrade to ios8 has the annoying lag that didn't exist in ios7. I assumed it was the ram but after reading above I guess not. I have location service off for most apps. I was tempted to go back to ios7 but I think I've waited too long and still haven't tried 8.0.2.
How can you go back to 7 I would love to I am beginning to hate my iPad 's u responsiveness...suspect that was Apples plan...move all thos IPad 2 folk onto later models perhaps?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How can you go back to 7 I would love to I am beginning to hate my iPad 's u responsiveness...suspect that was Apples plan...move all thos IPad 2 folk onto later models perhaps?
It's not possible to revert to iOS 7.1.2 any more.

My daughter's iPad 2 is working great with the new software. Apple certainly thinks the software is working good on the second generation iPad, and there are enough posts here that'll prove it. Otherwise the iPad 2 wouldn't have got the update.

Last edited:
OP
NorPlan

NorPlan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its kinda confusing why some devices with the same generation works fine and the others work terribly. It must likely be how the user handles or uses their devices or maybe there is something wrong with their devices. I could be wrong.
:( Oh I hear yah, as one who will whole heartedly admit Suffers from the Fat Finger Syndrome and I may add on occasion having a Senior's Moment..;) Then of course I get a corus of Aww Dad, What'd You Do when I'm asking for help from the Young Techie's in the house... :rolleyes:

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I updated, and yes I have noticed the lag especially the internet but I'm staying with it, whats a few seconds out of your day, and I love the keyboard and Siri

I'm assuming you're not using an ipad2 (this is the ipad2 forum after all), as you must be aware thar Siri is not available on the ipad2.

jenni122701

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been on iOS 8 since it released, jumped right on it. Almost wish I hadnt. I am having really bad lag and apps just crashing sometimes. FB app is especially bad. Course I use it probably the most so I just notice it more I guess. It will freeze, lag bad when loading and crash a LOT. [emoji20]

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been on iOS 8 since it released, jumped right on it. Almost wish I hadnt. I am having really bad lag and apps just crashing sometimes. FB app is especially bad. Course I use it probably the most so I just notice it more I guess. It will freeze, lag bad when loading and crash a LOT. [emoji20]
If you didn't reset it after updating, do it now: press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears, release both and let the iPad power up. It's possible you have to do that twice or even three times to notice any difference.

jon229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not possible to revert to iOS 7.1.2 any more.

Just curious since I've never tried.... I downloaded the .ips and it is sitting unused on my Mac. So even tho I have it is is still not possible? Or are you saying it is not possible because it's not available for fresh download?

jenni122701

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you didn't reset it after updating, do it now: press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears, release both and let the iPad power up. It's possible you have to do that twice or even three times to notice any difference.
Ok, I'll do that now. Thanks!

Most reactions