What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kids all have iPads and iPhones - Can I eliminate unkimited texing cost?

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Added unlimited texting to my cell phone a couple years ago because my kids seemed to prefer texting over calling and their plans had unlimited. They were putting me over my max most of the months, even though I told them I was not paying for unlimited. Kids! LOL. I bit the bullet and switched to the unlimited plan.

Well, I have since switched to the iPhone. One daughter had an iPhone and her texts changed to blue. My other daughter just got an iPhone month ago. Now her texts are blue. My son got an iPhone yesterday and his texts are blue. They are the only people I text with.

Since they are all blue, and also show up on my iPad, can I cancel the unlimited text through my carrier and just go back to that minimal amount for the occasional random text from my sister? I am assuming the blue texts are not using my cellular plan, but rather are Apple messages that are completely not related to my cellular text plan? They all appear on my iPad also, so I am assuming they are not using my cellular plan's text messaging.

Not asking for phone support, I will be contacting my phone provider, I am basically just making sure that my understanding of the blue texts is correct in that they are not using my cellular text plan before I do this. Am I correct?

Thanks.

Last edited:

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Haven't used iMessages till date, but I guess they are because Apple have got many things 'blue' with iOS 7.

However, please wait for confirmation from some other forum member, more enlightened on this topic.

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Added unlimited texting to my cell phone a couple years ago because my kids seemed to prefer texting over calling and their plans had unlimited. They were putting me over my max most of the months, even though I told them I was not paying for unlimited. Kids! LOL. I bit the bullet and switched to the unlimited plan. Well, I have since switched to the iPhone. One daughter had an iPhone and her texts changed to blue. My other daughter just got an iPhone month ago. Now her texts are blue. My son got an iPhone yesterday and his texts are blue. They are the only people I text with. Since they are all blue, and also show up on my iPad, can I cancel the unlimited text through my carrier and just go back to that minimal amount for the occasional random text from my sister? I am assuming the blue texts are not using my cellular plan, but rather are Apple messages that are completely not related to my cellular text plan? They all appear on my iPad also, so I am assuming they are not using my cellular plan's text messaging. Not asking for phone support, I will be contacting my phone provider, I am basically just making sure that my understanding of the blue texts is correct in that they are not using my cellular text plan before I do this. Am I correct? Thanks.

As long as your text messages are to iPhones and iPad, blue means no text charge. If you text to another user it will change color and count. That is what occurs on my account. I guess this happens to others. Verify your monthly text messages to see the drop in usage. I hope this saves you some money, we all need that.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As the others have said, blue means your kids are using iMessage to talk to you, so there is no "regular" texting involved.

Just be aware, however, that iMessages run off your data plan. So, if you aren't on WiFi, iMessages pull off your cellular/data plan.

Just so's you know... :)

Marilyn

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As the others have said, blue means your kids are using iMessage to talk to you, so there is no "regular" texting involved. Just be aware, however, that iMessages run off your data plan. So, if you aren't on WiFi, iMessages pull off your cellular/data plan. Just so's you know... :) Marilyn

Thanks. I am usually on WiFi and never come anywhere near using up my minimum data plan so I should be good.

Most reactions