What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can i send a text with my 3g ipad with any app?

No1zeppelinfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can i send a text with my 3g ipad with any app? Or by linking the iPad with my 3GS iPhone in some way? It's so I can text whilst on my iPad and can leave the phone over on the side and just use the iPad when I'm indoors?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It tends to be a bit complicated when in the UK. Our American friends have lots of free SMS type apps which we can't use.

As far as I know there is nothing you can do to link your iPhone to iPad so you can receive your phone texts on the pad. That would be cool.

BUT, you don't mention whether you have an iPad1 or 2. If you have a 1 you can jailbreak and install "SwirlySMS for iPad". This enables full SMS capability on your iPad. HOWEVER, be warned, if you dont have a SMS bundle on your iPad data plan (which I don't on Orange) you get charged full network rate for every one you send (10p in my case). You can receive fine. It's just like a giant SMS app! But the problem is of course, nobody has your iPad phone number and if they start to send stuff there, you'll probably want them to send stuff to your phone at other times... Gets confusing. Although it's cool, I find I hardly ever use it now!

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Most reactions