What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keynote question

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm trying very hard to put together a presentation on starting a helicopter (sequential). I've done plenty before but this problem seems to have me flummoxed.

I have to say there is so much going on with wav files etc I might be biting off mote than I can chew BUT nothing ventured!

Its a big helicopter with a glass cockpit and I'm not clever enough to get a picture on here to show you but basically a linear column goes up and down (easy) but just above the column is a numerical value 0 -1000. Now I don't need to be that accurate but as the column increases/decreases I am trying to show the numerical value going up and down. I've tried typing 1- 1000 individually and tried assorts of transitions\actions in and out (took forever) but it just isn't at all convincing.

Any body got any ideas I'd be most appreciative. As I said I'm not clever enough to show you a picture but if you simply type S92A EICAS into google up will come a decent picture of what I am talking about, you see one of the Multi Functional Displays showing the EICAS and my green columns with the numerical values directly above.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Perhaps an animated GIF. There are a number of apps that will let you create these, either directly or by stitching a number of photos together. You can also create them with the Workflow app, though this requires a bit more work.

I'm not certain Keynote will display animated GIFs properly, but I think it should. Difficult for me to test right now. All I have with me is my iPhone, and I really should be doing something else.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thx TP, I've had a decent go, one slide has 600 transitions! It works, sort of, by disolving in and out but the timing is the real issue each in/out is a 10th of a second as the linear column goes up and down and there are 8 of them! Please don't worry but maybe later when you get a chance you can post me a link to animated gifs it sounds fun.

Regards

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, here is the Wikipedia article on it; though it's probably not much practical value:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIF#Animated_GIF

I did test a quick animated GIF I made, and it worked in Keynote. It plays like a media file, meaning it shows up with a play button and you have to tap it (or choose next slide). I don't know how that will work out for you.

Since I did not want to buy any other apps to do this, I made a simple keynote with some numbers then took screen shots of each slide. I'd already played with making animated GIF's with Workflow, so I threw together a quick workflow. Very simple. It lets you select a number of pictures, turns them into a GIF, and then saves it back to the Photos app.

This is what it looks like on the iPhone 6 Plus, where I created it.

GIF WF.jpg

And here is the resulting GIF. The second version. I replace the first because it was too big, so if you saw it, sorry. Also, the Workflow is slightly different. the Auto switch is turned off and the sizes 640 x 360 chosen.

Count.GIF

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wow. That still displays too big in the browser, but i'm too lazy to do it over again. But at least it works, at least in Safari on the iMac. Haven't checked on the iPad.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can you see the the numerical values at the top of the green columns on a photo? (Google S92 EICAS) I am going to play with your theory because it looks better than mine - problem is, I think it will be limited in frame rate - On the TGT scales the temp goes from 0 - 870 odd on start in about 3-4 seconds.

In fact; thinking about it I might be doing it all wrong. So far I am inserting single digits 0 - 1000 (one transition in and out) now if I change that to 4 numbers rows 1-10 and played around with the timings in the thousand, hundred, tens, and units columns that just might work better.

Thanks so much, I will have a look tonight today I need to deal with the real thing!

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is the App you used simply called GIF maker? is there a better version? They will get the bill!!

Most reactions