What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyboards and other writing questions

FacePoppies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, so my iPad 2 is on the way, and it's really my first experience with an Apple product other than my ipod.

I'm a writer, and I'm hoping to use my iPad 2 to do some writing alongside all of the other fun. Is the touch screen keyboard good for writing?

If not, is there a recommended keyboard? I saw that new Zagg keyboard case, but I couldn't get a good look at the keyboard layout from the images on amazon. Also, the keyboard is bluetooth. Does that mean that it uses batteries that you have to replace and/or charge separately from the iPad 2?

And, last question (I promise!), is there some professional quality writing software for iPad that can save in .doc format? Like a Word clone or something?

Thanks!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, so my iPad 2 is on the way, and it's really my first experience with an Apple product other than my ipod.

I'm a writer, and I'm hoping to use my iPad 2 to do some writing alongside all of the other fun. Is the touch screen keyboard good for writing?

If not, is there a recommended keyboard? I saw that new Zagg keyboard case, but I couldn't get a good look at the keyboard layout from the images on amazon. Also, the keyboard is bluetooth. Does that mean that it uses batteries that you have to replace and/or charge separately from the iPad 2?

And, last question (I promise!), is there some professional quality writing software for iPad that can save in .doc format? Like a Word clone or something?

Thanks!

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

The Zagg keyboard is Bluetooth, but it has rechargeable batteries and, anyway, they last a long time before needing recharging. I have a 'foldable' Bluetooth keyboard, which is convenient if you want to transport the iPad around with you. They all work well with the iPad - there's even an Apple Bluetooth keyboard. All the Bluetooth (BT) keyboard use very little battery power, so the batteries - rechargeable or replaceable - last hundreds of hours and the keyboards go into 'power saving' mode automatically when you don't type for a while - mine (the iGo Stowaway) doesn't even have an on/off switch..

Office applications - a Forum member has recently written a great review in a thread and I'll post that link immediately after I've sent this...

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

misterkofa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd get the wireless keyboard. It'll work with all iPads now and future iPads. Any case with keyboard built in may seem convenient but will be useless when you upgrade.

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've written a few short stories using the on screen keyboard and while I've found it quite comfortable, I wouldn't personally attempt to write anything longer on it. Instead, I'm going to get the wireless keyboard for longer works. The on screen keyboard is wonderful for quick editing and whatnot. It all depends on what you're doing.

Sent from my iPad2 A1396 using iPF

Reaction score
I've got a Zagg keyboard. I've had it over 3 weeks and haven't charged it from the box yet.
It makes a great cover/stand/keyboard combo but those of us with huge hands may find the keys a bit cramped, causing typing errors because the keys are whisper touch sensitive

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the apple wireless keyboard and it works great. The keyboard dock is pretty cool also. on screen keyboard isn't good for weighting long works but it can be done in a bind. I wrote all of this using the on screen keyboard.

Thehamguy1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Apple wireless keyboard too and agree it works great. I got mine through Craigslist, spanking new with manual, for $55; you might try that idea first. One thing I've found is that when the keyboard is linked to my iPad and is anywhere within 30' of it, the onscreen keyboard won't pop up when you try to type something. You have to turn off Bluetooth in Settings before you can use the onscreen keyboard. This is a very minor issue to me, as I only use the wireless keyboard for major work. I can leave Bluetooth off, then when I turn it back on within the aforementioned range, the iPad and keyboard relink automatically.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both Apple key board and Zagg and

prefer the Apple for touch/feel by far. The Zagg fit my iPad perfectly but is too large to retain the iPad 2. In do not like the touch of that keyboard anyway so no loss. If you want to type much beyond a simple email message you will want a separate blue tooth keyboard.

Uses Apple's "Pages" wordprocessing software. You will find it essentially similar to "Word" and both saves and opens in .doc as well as .pages.

Most reactions

Latest posts