What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyboard limitations. Why

David L Allen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks
The iPad is an excellent device - I love it but…
One thing that’s always frustrated me is the lack of cursor keys on the onscreen keyboard & I know I’m not alone regarding this limitation.
OK, I realise that there’s ways round it by holding done something or other for a while or some such procedure that I can never remember but it still frustrates me (a lot).
Now the iPad’s been around for a while and surely by now the engineers could have found a way to include such a tiny feature.
Why oh why haven’t they done? Is there some technical issue that prevents it or are they just being bloody-minded?
Do tell.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's one of the compromises Apple made to keep the keys large enough for easy typing. Take a look at some alternative keyboards in the App Store, which once installed can be toggled with the globe key at the lower left. I sometimes switch to the PadKeys keyboard for its left and right arrows, plus forward delete. But its keys are too small for daily use, IMHO.

OP
D

David L Allen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Padkeys? That's not available in the App Store. The only alternative I can find is MS SwiftKey which insists on recording everything you write - not good.
As far as size goes I happen to have 'sausage fingers' & I'm fairly sure it wouldn't pose a problem. Choice would be nice,

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is probably what you didn't remember. Place two fingers on the touch keyboard and use it like a track pad to move the cursor. Careful. If you hold them still for too long it changes into a selection mode instead of just moving the cursor.

There are a couple other ways, but this is easiest for the iPad.

On the iPhone it's one finger, but you have to hold it a bit until the keyboard grays out the letters.

OP
D

David L Allen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, when you're typing, hitting a cursor key is far quicker & more intuitive than pressing & holding whatever that sometimes works.
Anyhow, thanks to LannyC I'm now happily using Typefinity.

Most reactions

Latest posts