What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keeping some apps on old iPad

Ian_NZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a number of apps that I bought for my grand daughters to use on my iPad 2.
I plan to buy an iPad Air and give my iPad 2 to them. How can I keep some apps on the old one but move most to my new one?
Thanks Ian

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The easiest way is to (1) make a backup of the iPad2. Then, after you get the iPad Air, (2) plug it into your iTunes and elect to "Restore From Backup." This will result in your new iPad Air being an exact replica of your iPad2.

Then, once that is done, remove the apps from the iPad 2 that you don't want on it and hand it over to your granddaughter. If you keep it on your account/Apple ID, she can continue to use your apps.

Marilyn

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The easiest way is to (1) make a backup of the iPad2. Then, after you get the iPad Air, (2) plug it into your iTunes and elect to "Restore From Backup." This will result in your new iPad Air being an exact replica of your iPad2.

Then, once that is done, remove the apps from the iPad 2 that you don't want on it and hand it over to your granddaughter. If you keep it on your account/Apple ID, she can continue to use your apps.

Hi Marilyn - great advice as usual! :) I plan to replace my iPad 2 w/ an Air early next year and will follow the same directions as given above, i.e. 'Restore From Backup' - likely will give my wife the iPad 2 to read books & mags (not as easy for her on the Mini).

But concerning the second point about keeping the same Apple ID (once deleting apps not felt needed) for those who may be thinking about this same iPad transfer - for those getting a 'hand down' device w/ someone else's ID, any updates to present apps will require knowing the password to that account, once known, then other apps (whether purchased previously) or whether wanted to be bought (if there is a charge) will then be possible - how to deal w/ such a situation? Just felt that those making this switch (which may be many) should be aware of the implications - please correct me if I'm wrong on my thinking here - Dave

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apps that you have purchases will always be associated with your account, and can not be updated without your Apple ID and password.

How old is your granddaughter?

Marilyn's suggestion, plus the use of restrictions (Settings > General > Restrictions) is a good solution for children who should be supervised in their use of the iPad. You'll want control over what apps and what online content they have access too, especial when it comes to the possibility of them spending money in iTunes or in-app purchases.

You should also consider whether you will have the ability to admin that iPad if needed. If you need to hand that responsibility over to her parents then you'll also be handing over your Apple ID and any credit card info associated with it. Even when you trust people, sharing that kind of info can lead to unwanted complications.

However, if your granddaughter is adult, or approaching adulthood, a locked down and shared content iPad may entail more disadvantages than simply having her purchase the apps she needs on her own account. You could add an iTunes gift card to the gift as a way of getting her started. You could also do this if you need the parents to take over the iPad's administration.

Note: When enabling Restrictions on the iPad make sure you do not lose/forget the passcode. There is no easy way to recover from a lost passcode.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn - great advice as usual! :) I plan to replace my iPad 2 w/ an Air early next year and will follow the same directions as given above, i.e. 'Restore From Backup' - likely will give my wife the iPad 2 to read books & mags (not as easy for her on the Mini).

But concerning the second point about keeping the same Apple ID (once deleting apps not felt needed) for those who may be thinking about this same iPad transfer - for those getting a 'hand down' device w/ someone else's ID, any updates to present apps will require knowing the password to that account, once known, then other apps (whether purchased previously) or whether wanted to be bought (if there is a charge) will then be possible - how to deal w/ such a situation? Just felt that those making this switch (which may be many) should be aware of the implications - please correct me if I'm wrong on my thinking here - Dave

Well, it depends.

I have my mom's iPad on my Apple ID. So, she and I share apps. If I was concerned about it (and I'm not, BTW), she doesn't have my password. So, she can't go to download apps, even if she wanted to. In my case, if she wanted it, I'd give her my password - she's my MOM, ya know? :) But, you don't have to give up the password and the person whose iPad is on the account can only download those that were previously purchased.

However, I keep her on my account so I CAN share apps with her. It still fits Apple's EULA (for family) and it's just easier to keep both iPads on the same account.

Which is actually what I'd recommend for you - keep that iPad you're handing over to your wife on your Apple ID. That way, she won't have to re-buy apps that she may want that you've already purchased.

In this case, if IanNZ doesn't want his granddaughter having access to already purchased apps, then I would suggest a complete restore of the iPad and have her get her own account (or use her parents'). Cause you're right to point it out - you can't stop someone from downloading previously purchased apps if they are on the same account/Apple ID.

Except ... wait. Now that I've typed that - you CAN stop someone from downloading apps that were already purchased, even if they are on the same iTunes account. Just go to Settings > General > Restrictions and turn off the ability to install apps (and/or make in-app purchases). That'll make the AppStore app disappear and so the person CAN'T download anything cause they can't even go to the store. And, it'll be under a controllable password that's easily accessed so the AppStore can be re-enabled to look for updates (or turn them on automatically).

So, there are ways to restrict previously purchased apps if you are so inclined.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dang it! I type so slow!

So, in essence - what twerppoet said. :)

Marilyn

That's what happens when we look things up to make sure we're giving the right info. Unlike you, I didn't go into restrictions to double check what was/wasn't there, so I got done first, this time. ;)

Also, my post is about half as long.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Heh. I'm just glad I remembered about Restrictions beFORE posting - and thus saved myself from the gentle reminders from y'all that I was in error. :) And yeah, I do go on ... and on ... and on ... :D

So, we've made this conversation a little more involved that it may have needed. ;) The key question is to Ian_NZ: did this help? Hopefully, it did, but ask for more details if it didn't.

Marilyn

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn & TP for your thoughts and excellent comments in transferring an 'old' iPad to someone else - I'm sure that many readers will be appreciative. Dave :)

OP
I

Ian_NZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I want my daughter to control the apps on the iPad 2 so it seems we cannot transfer the existing apps. They were not expensive so no problem. Many thanks again for your help.
Ian

Desmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I now have an iPad air which comes with Numbers, Pages, etc free. I want to pass my old iPad 1 to my wife with the paid versions of Numbers of Pages, etc. When I change a file on Numbers on my iPad air it changes the same file on the iPad 1, but also makes that file inaccessible on the old iPad 1. I will therefore have to change the name on the iPad 1, and thus lose the paid for apps. As Numbers and Pages for the iPad 1 cost £10 each, I will grudge this.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The problem is not with keeping the apps on both iPads. If you've paid for them before, then they are already paid for and the new (free) versions means nothing. Not unless you register the new iPad Air with a new iTunes account and purchase/download them using that account.

The problem is that the old iPad uses the older version of the apps. The new versions use a different file format, and is only compatible with iOS 7. One you open a file in the new version, it is converted and no longer compatible with the old version. Did that make sense?

Your wife can still use the old versions of the app. You just wont' be able to share the files across both iPads. You can either turn off iCloud sharing for each iWorks app on one of the devices, or you can get a different iCloud account for one of you. It is possible to have different iTunes accounts and iCloud accounts on each device; so that you can share apps but have different storage, backup, mail, etc.

Using your Apple ID for Apple services

Once you have separate iCloud accounts, you can mix and match services as you like. Mail accounts, FaceTime, Messages, iCloud, iTunes Store, and most of the other services have separate account settings for this reason, so you can choose share some services and not others.

Though keeping track of what account you are using on what app/service on what iPad can get confusing. I suggest you write it down somewhere.

Desmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Twerppoet.
I've now deleted the cloud account from the iPad1. It has also deleted all the Pages & Numbers sheets from that iPad, but that doesn't matter. I don't consciously use iCloud,but obviously was using it anyway. This is a big help. I'll be more aware now.
Desmac

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you go to icloud.com in a desktop browser you should still be able to access your documents, save them to your computer or email them to yourself.

Select a document by clicking on it once. Click on the gear icon at the top left and choose your options from there.

When the document arrives in email on the iPad you can tap/hold for options to Open the document in the correct app. Depending on whether the format has already been altered, and which version of Pages/Numbers you are using it will work, or not.

If it works, you'll have a local copy of the document on your iPad. (assuming you still have iCloud's Documents and Data turned off in iCloud settings, iCloud turned off in the apps's settings, or iCloud off altogether.

Hold in mind you do not have to sign out of iCloud. Turning off the feature in the app's settings or Documents and Data in the iCloud settings will stop the iWorks apps from using iCloud. You can still use the other iCloud features if you want.

Or you can just keep using your existing iWorks documents online in the browser, though the features are limited.

Most reactions

Latest posts