What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JUST IN openiboot and android for IPAD!!

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds cool but didnt even show Android boot up screen or anything. All we can do is wait. I have a win mobile phone that dual boots XDAndroid with froyo 2.2. So im not new to dual booting mobile devices. Cant wait till this becomes officially done n stable and "EVERYTHING" workin on it.

apuljain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys, any pudate on this thred...seems like this project has died..

SterAllures

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ya I got kind of the same idea, I've been waiting for this for a few months now, I thought by now it would be ready and running but on Hexxeh his site I can't find any info. Hope people are still working on this!

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would be nice, but with the iPad only having 256MB of RAM, multitasking would be pretty limited, maybe a couple widgets and a few background processes would eat it all up.

If they were able to get Honeycomb stable on the iPad 2 (if it has increased hardware specs) I would buy the iPad 2, but since this project seems dead in the water, I won't hold my breath.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
It would be nice, but with the iPad only having 256MB of RAM, multitasking would be pretty limited, maybe a couple widgets and a few background processes would eat it all up.

If they were able to get Honeycomb stable on the iPad 2 (if it has increased hardware specs) I would buy the iPad 2, but since this project seems dead in the water, I won't hold my breath.

Have faith! If they can do it with a Nook, they can do it with an iPad! Perhaps we should all head over to XDA and tell em to get on it :)

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Have faith! If they can do it with a Nook, they can do it with an iPad! Perhaps we should all head over to XDA and tell em to get on it :)

Im a member of xda and thats where i got my dualboot capabilities with my win mo phone. There are some geniuses over there. I havent logged on there in the longest since i got my ipad, really. Ill check or drop the hint to see if anyone over there wrking on this. If they can get android on a winmo phone, it can be done on ipad. Im just not sure about Honeycomb though. The ipad's limited memory might hold it back or make it limited in how much u can do at once on it. Im sure it can be done though. Lets cross our fingers ;-)

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv

Im a member of xda and thats where i got my dualboot capabilities with my win mo phone. There are some geniuses over there. I havent logged on there in the longest since i got my ipad, really. Ill check or drop the hint to see if anyone over there wrking on this. If they can get android on a winmo phone, it can be done on ipad. Im just not sure about Honeycomb though. The ipad's limited memory might hold it back or make it limited in how much u can do at once on it. Im sure it can be done though. Lets cross our fingers ;-)

Well we know nothing o the ipad 2 specs yet, so who knows, it could be more than capable of running it fully. -shrug- Lets get over there and beg if we have to! lol

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just made a thread on xda-developers forum asking about it. If i hear anything, ill post it up here.

irishpride

iPF Noob
Reaction score
freebirdforever said:

The nook has better specs(memory and such) than the ipad and it is already an Android device.

Man i cant wait for a 10" Honeycomb tablet, it is going to blow the ipad out of the water and ive been really happy with my ipad, but the new Android tabs look amazing!

nxtwrld

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Man i cant wait for a 10" Honeycomb tablet, it is going to blow the ipad out of the water and ive been really happy with my ipad, but the new Android tabs look amazing!

At the end it comes down to apps available. I love android devices, but the app ecosystem just does not match the apples. I was really hoping for booting both on the same device. Maybe iPad2 will come with better specs to match android requirements.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score

At the end it comes down to apps available. I love android devices, but the app ecosystem just does not match the apples. I was really hoping for booting both on the same device. Maybe iPad2 will come with better specs to match android requirements.

Now there we go, thats a good idea. Id rather have the ipad or ipad 2 and be able to dual boot. Imagine the ipad2 dual booting and loading up Android honeycomb. A device that can dual boot is wayyy better n more functional thn a device with single OS.

OP
B

batmania15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys,

I'm afraid this project hit a dead end road and died. The person responsible for the video and getting openiboot on the ipad is known as Hexxeh.

His blog is here:

hexxeh(dot)net/?p=328117620#comments

Also the forums for the IDROID project is here, ipad is in the otherdevices section:

.idroidproject(dot)org/forum

Seems as though there's not a good enough jailbreak this gives us lower end access to be able to write to the nand or get to boot code.

Maybe we can make some noise to these people and see where it stands or see what needs to happen.....

ocdetails

iPF Noob
Reaction score

That is only because apple has had nearly a year longer in the tablet app market. The phone Android market can go toe to toe with anything that the AppStore has in it. There isn't anything you can do with an iPhone that I can't do with my Android phone. However, there are MANY things my Android phone can do that the iPhone can't. Overclock from 800MHz to 1.9GHz, for example. Wifi calling for another. Wifi tethering out of the box or with root and market apps for any phone for yet another. Widgets on the "springboard". The list goes on.

While I'm not an Apple hater or anything (I do have an iPad, after all) I'll say that the ViewSonic Android tablet currently on the market is very appealing to me and may just be what puts the iPad on ebay in my case. Give the Android OS two years and they will be head and shoulders above Apple in the tablet market. It doesn't matter who gets there first. It only matters who does it best. Round one to Apple... but there are a lot of rounds to go. Give it two years and the Tablet market will look just like the touch screen phone market does right now. And we know which OS sells more often in that one... (no, it isn't the iOS)

Most reactions

Latest posts