What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got my ipad and need some help

OP
C

CheekyIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is driving me crazy too! When it works I find it very fast, it working is the problem. I take back what I said about the changes working. After I posted it stopped connecting st all for a few hours.

I have been thinking about trying a new router too. I live at my Mum's and she has had connection issues with her pc that I couldn't figure out, but blamed on it being a pc. LOL Though maybe it is the Dlink.

Hate do have to buy a new one though. Can anyone recommend one that is Mac compatible (since it will be connected to my Mac tower) as well as my iPad and her pc vista laptop?

Last edited:

tozol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I called Apple and they want me to try a different wireless source.

Great to know, i have been in touch with my isp to see about getting a different router.

I will say reading back, i have never had your " stopped for few hours problem", thank god, I would go crazy if that happened.

I have also tried different channels, as that also was quoted in some reports of curing it...well I have changed from the default channel 11 to 7 no succes there, exact same , dropps connects veey fast..in fact would say it,s dropped a lot more on 7.

Anyway hope we get thus fixed soon.

Toz

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photo Sorting

The only way you can orginize pictures for the iPad is to do them on your computer and sync thru iTunes.. I know a pain. And the wifi drops usually happen on certain wifi encryption pass codes and should be fixed with os4 in the fall. I never drop connection on an open network and regular WEP password.

Thanks, ya I figured that out when I brought some pics over from my mac onto the pc laptop and loaded them threw itunes. Is a pain. I dunno why they didn't make it so you could change them around on the ipad the same as you would do for the apps.

I loose the connection in my house, sitting in the same spot with my own router and password. :confused: So is all I can do it wait or would resetting the ipad help?

The only way you can orginize pictures for the iPad is to do them on your computer and sync thru iTunes.. I know a pain. And the wifi drops usually happen on certain wifi encryption pass codes and should be fixed with os4 in the fall. I never drop connection on an open network and regular WEP password.

If you have an iPhone, the Photo Transfer app is awesome. Every few days, I transfer photos over WiFi from my iPhone to my iPad. Works like a charm.

That's cool, yes i do. Though can you decide where what album it goes on the ipad?

There is a $1.99 iPad app called Photo Sort for iPad that will let you establish lots of photo folders and move your photos around to the various folders as though they are albums. Lots of neat features as well. I got it and my iPad doesn't come until [Maybe Monday] next week. Stuck in Anchorage AK waiting for customs to act. Sigh!!

tozol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just want to make a comment on the bit above about the update in OS4 update, and its the words..."in the fall" , you know what is it only me that finds this, bloody disgusting?

Now Apple obviously know its a problem, and im certain they will have even seen it first hand, hence the quick response in saying a fix is coming.

Well i'm sorry but to me this is an ESSENTIAL update that is needed for the ipad right now, and should extreme priority in my opinion, especially as well, if they know its a certain fix, i have my doubts on that score to.

But really to say its coming in the fall, is just amazing to me, i guess they would rather keep churning the hardware out to make millions a day.

Now look i dont want to be seen apple bashing here, far from it im as big a fanboy as the next, with both a macbook and now an ipad, but me being one that is suffering from this obvuious problem, i just fine it disgusting, its not out a dam site quicker than stated.

Anyone else think this stinks a bit.

On a small side note, i have tried the other stuff mentioned to, wep, wpa, even the 3rd option on my router, all make not a jot of difference, starts dropping a few minutes of use.

I for one just think this should be of the highest priorty for apple, even before Os 4 for the pad, its just to important for a device that is so wi-fi centric..please apple get this sorted.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Though maybe it is the Dlink.
The problem may very well be with your router. I have a D-Link DIR-615 wireless router. Why? Because of its outstanding quality? No! Because it was cheap! $20 mail order from BestBuy (+ S&H)

There's LOTS of forums where you will read about connectivity issues with D-Link routers and this one specifically. They key seems to be taking some of the variables away from the router, at least on the 802.11 side.

Since I don't have anything that uses 802.11n (and since this seems to be one of the weaker points of this router anyway), what really helped me was to take "N" out of the equation. Go to Setup | Wireless Settings | Manual Wireless Network Setup and change the 802.11 Mode to Mixed 802.11g and 802.11b.

dlink.jpg

(Yes, I have an SSID for my system, but I erased it from this screen shot. I guess I just paranoid!)

Some people report having better luck by un-checking the Enable Auto Channel Scan and trying specific channels to see if one works better than the other.

Also, this particular D-Link is known not to have the greatest range so that may be an issue as well.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

tozol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I must say, i don't have a d-link, but i will have a look at my settings to see if my router has that, lol at this moment in time, i must say ill try anything...
if someone said stick your router in a bowl of dog food I would, hehe......

One last thing to, not sure if it's because i have comeon here more to chat about this, but it does seem to be happening a bit more.

By the way...just about to watch you guys in the world cup...Good Luck...

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had a netgear router and got caught out when I upgraded the software. It reset the idle timeout and it took me while to figure out what had happened. All I knew was that it kept dropping the connection.

Another thing you could do is check the signal strength. Sometimes you find local interference from other routers using the same channel as well as microwaves etc. running interference. Search for a program (free) called inSSIDer as it gives a graphic view of local networks and the channels they use. Sometimes changing this helps.

tozol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a netgear router and got caught out when I upgraded the software. It reset the idle timeout and it took me while to figure out what had happened. All I knew was that it kept dropping the connection.

Another thing you could do is check the signal strength. Sometimes you find local interference from other routers using the same channel as well as microwaves etc. running interference. Search for a program (free) called inSSIDer as it gives a graphic view of local networks and the channels they use. Sometimes changing this helps.

Really appreciate the help mate on the netgear, i will check what you have said, especially, the channel searcher...cheers

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I am one of those that think the "n" is part of the problem. My old Belkin "G" works perfect, never an issue. I briefly tried a new router with "n" and started having drop outs.... I took it back and went back to my G and again, zero problems......

I didn't see any speed improvement with N anyway......

OP
C

CheekyIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I for one just think this should be of the highest priorty for apple, even before Os 4 for the pad, its just to important for a device that is so wi-fi centric..please apple get this sorted.

I agree!!!!

Though maybe it is the Dlink.
The problem may very well be with your router. I have a D-Link DIR-615 wireless router. Why? Because of its outstanding quality? No! Because it was cheap! $20 mail order from BestBuy (+ S&H)

There's LOTS of forums where you will read about connectivity issues with D-Link routers and this one specifically. They key seems to be taking some of the variables away from the router, at least on the 802.11 side.

Since I don't have anything that uses 802.11n (and since this seems to be one of the weaker points of this router anyway), what really helped me was to take "N" out of the equation. Go to Setup | Wireless Settings | Manual Wireless Network Setup and change the 802.11 Mode to Mixed 802.11g and 802.11b.

Some people report having better luck by un-checking the Enable Auto Channel Scan and trying specific channels to see if one works better than the other.

Also, this particular D-Link is known not to have the greatest range so that may be an issue as well.

Hope this helps!

Yup this is the lovely router I have. But since I have it on a mac it won't let me save the settings like you pictured so I can't change and save security setting or the mode to g and b.

OP
C

CheekyIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am one of those that think the "n" is part of the problem. My old Belkin "G" works perfect, never an issue. I briefly tried a new router with "n" and started having drop outs.... I took it back and went back to my G and again, zero problems......

I didn't see any speed improvement with N anyway......

This is what apple says though "Note: This is important if your Wi-Fi router supports 802.11n, as it may still be using the draft specification of the 802.11n standard."

So doesn't it have to be a N router and set to N?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup this is the lovely router I have. But since I have it on a mac it won't let me save the settings like you pictured so I can't change and save security setting or the mode to g and b.
I am scratching my head over this one! :confused: The changes I suggested above are made on the router itself so as long as you can access your router with administrator privileges, it shouldn't matter what kind of system it is running on in order to make changes.

OP
C

CheekyIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know now that on the box doesn't say Mac compatible and some Linksys I am looking into say Mac compatible.

I went into the manual settings to change these things but when I hit save it says it's disabled in manual mode. :confused:

OP
C

CheekyIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a new router (Linksys WRT120N) and no problems at all. I went threw the instruction CD set my passwords and it pichec it up and worked right away.

Yay!

Most reactions

Latest posts