What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got my 1st iPad and I can't type in the message box of the thread

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is strange because while, as I've said, some Members definitely have the same problems as you do, others have no problems at all....very strange.

Let us know how you get on - you are clearly on your way to becoming the iPad Forum expert on the iPF app....:D

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The IPF app will not let you enter text (except the subject line for some reason) until you are logged in. To log in choose the Forum icon at the bottom. There should be a blue login button at the bottom left, if memory serves. Tap it and enter your user info.

When in Safari and visiting the site you may have problems entering stuff in the text box also. This can be cured temporarily by tapping the icon at the top left of the text editor. It looks like a couple of A's overlapping. This switches the the editor between WYSIWIG (What You See Is What You Get) and HTML. The WYSIWIG editor is the one that usualy causes problems.

You can change the default editor by going to User CP on the site (via a browser) and Edit Options. The default editor setting is at the bottom of the page.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, poet. I learnt two things today

(1) you need to be logged in the iPF app before you can enter text and

the one I really had absolutely no idea about

(2) the switch between WYSIWYG and HTML in Safari. That one is sheer genius.....thanks...

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Don't be too impressed. I was wrong about what the double A icon does.

It removes text formatting. If you've made some text bold, changed the color, or some other thing, you can highlight it again and click on the double A icon to clear that formatting. It's a bit quicker than manually deleting the tags.

I thought it changed the editor because someone else noticed that if you couldn't edit in the box and clicked on it, then the problem went away. This still may be worth trying.

I'd have known better if I'd only spend a tiny amount of time checking my theory. All you have to do is hover the mouse over the icons to get a description of what each icon does.

You can still avoid the idiosyncrasies of the WYSIWIG editor by changing to the standard editor as a default, but it has to be done using Edit Options on the Use CP page. You almost have to do this for third party browsers, at least that is what it took to make Atomic play nice with the forum.

Most reactions