What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jumping ship

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
After many problems and intrusions by Apple concerning my data allowance, I have decided to buy the Microsoft Surface 4 as soon as it comes out.

If anyone has been looking elsewhere besides this forum, it has been found that Apple and it's iCloud has been a total mess. As a result, ISPs have been inundated with data drainage complaints which, upon further research, is because of Apple. It is not due to what others have offered here as the problems. It is Apple and its decisions and is what is causing data drainage problems across the board.

I have to constantly watch my data allowance which is a PITA. I even went so far as to get an Android Smart Phone. This way, when Apple decides to drain my data allowance, I just simply turned off my iPad and continued on with my Android Smart Phone. I can do everything on my Android Smart Phone that I can do with my iPad.

This is just an FYI to stay away from Apple devices as they WILL decide what is best and continually drain your data allowance without regard for YOU.

There are many more reasons for my decision to dump Apple as I have done the research and the evidence is self evident. I am not going to put up with the way Apple does it's business with MY IPAD AND DATA ALLOWANCE. I have had ENOUGH.

With the Microsoft Surface 4 I will have more flexability with my photos, etc. and not have to be shackled to Apple and iCloud.

Bye bye you guys and I hope the best for you if you still stay with Apple. I know that, for what I want and need, Apple IS NOT THE WAY,

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Goodby, and I'm sorry that the iPad was not a good solution for you.

However I'd like to point out that most people do not have data limits on their home ISP accounts, so your problem doesn't affect them.

I don't know enough about the Surface or Windows to say how it will go. I'm pretty sure you can limit just about everything, but I'm also fairly sure you're going to have to do so manually. Windows system updates are frequent, and automatic by default, and they are betting heavily on cloud/syncing solutions as well; so read up on the settings and be proactive. Even if the system settings won't do what you want, Windows is far more open, so there is bound to be some kind of gate keeper utility that will do the job.

I'd hate for you to end up spending more months battling the same demon on a new platform.

Good luck

OP
AlexisW

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You said that most have unlimited data with their home isp accounts. This is not true. Several complaints sent to several isps specifically state that their accounts were drained. DRAINED. This is why the complaints were sent.

I would like to know where you get your information as the true stated complaints do not appear to agree with you.

Do not answer until you have done the extensive research that I have done. Unlimited accounts would not complain about the draining of their data.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just as another option, you don't have to use iCloud. I back-up to iTunes on my Mac, and use other services like Dropbox for cloud storage. No issues with data usage here.

PugsBuni69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My brother in law who is a computer geek, loves the Microsoft surface. I won't get rid of my iPad, but I'm also going to be purchasing the surface.

Most reactions

Latest posts