What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Java? (Or java-like?)

mistymom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been searching for an app or browser that will emulate Java. I have searched all apps for iPad 2 and threads and can't find what I am looking for.

I am not wanting to write a program (as most of the apps I have found seem to be for) but needing java to be enabled or emulated on my iPad 2 for a work program.

I have found the AlwaysOnPC iPad edition which has horrible ratings and would possibly cause security problems for the work program. Not to mention the fact that it does not seem to be worth the cost.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do you know of any browsers that can do this for iPad 2?

I am open to trying most things. Anyone?

Mel:)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have a desktop computer you can leave on, then a remote desktop app would be the most versatile solution. Splashtop is the current darling of the category. I rather like it myself. You may have to do a little finagling with the firewall if you are running it on an enterprise system.

Because the Flash enabled browsers actually run a virtual browser on a remote server, they may work; probably not very well, but maybe well enough for what you need. The three most popular are iSwifter, Puffin, and Skyfire. From what I've read iSwifter is your best chance.

There is no way to run or emulate a java engine directly on the iPad (as far as I know).

OP
M

mistymom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you!

Thank you for your reply twerppoet. I have actually downloaded and tried all of these with varying degrees of success.

iSwifter almost works in that it allows me to click on and load the 'file' (for lack of a better name) but them won't let me go back to the previous page.

Puffin actually works better in a way as it allows me to attempt to upload but then it freezes and I can't do anything else at all. I will have to delete and reload it to see if I get any different response.

Skyfire has not run well with the work website but it has had some issues too. I am looking at different settings to see if this helps.

The remote desktop idea is great and I have tried it with decent success. Unfortunately, for what I am researching for the company, it would not be a good option or fit for the majority of the nurses. I am working on building a process that would be used by many and needs to be as simplistic as possible. Since we are dealing with protected medical information, we need to guarantee that the process is failsafe and lockable. Going through various desktops, we can't guarantee that this would be the case.

I appreciate your assistance and will keep trying these to see if I can adjust any to work well. If you have any additional suggestions, I would love to hear them and try them out!

Thanks again!
Mel:)

Most reactions

Latest posts