What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Java

zuluwhiskeyfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a browser that supports Java on iOS? I know of only one browser that supports Adobe Flash in iOS. I have yet to find one that supports Java.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe Safari does...

Attachments

• image-87256605.jpg
    image-87256605.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 185

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No. That is javascript. A different beast, despite the name.

@OP: The Flash enabled browsers are still your best bet. They run on remote serves, so those servers may support Java.

If you have not done so, give Puffin Web Browser a chance. While it does not mention Java, it claims to have the full web experience. Try the free version first. The servers are in the U.S., so that might cause issues if you are situated somewhere else, or it may not.

I don't use Puffin much myself. It's a fall back browser for those rare times when I need to visit a site that does not work in Safari or the other native browsers. That said, I hang onto it specifically because it's got a better reputation than most.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

@OP: The Flash enabled browsers are still your best bet. They run on remote serves, so those servers may support Java.

If you have not done so, give Puffin Web Browser a chance. While it does not mention Java, it claims to have the full web experience. Try the free version first. The servers are in the U.S., so that might cause issues if you are situated somewhere else, or it may not.

I don't use Puffin much myself. It's a fall back browser for those rare times when I need to visit a site that does not work in Safari or the other native browsers. That said, I hang onto it specifically because it's got a better reputation than most.

My bad! All too confusing :(

OP
zuluwhiskeyfox

zuluwhiskeyfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I tried Puffin. unfortunately it doesn't work. I too keep Puffin for those times when the others quit. Flash content get most browsers. Puffin though has no problem with Flash. In my quest I did come across one dude who said "Java cannot run in iOS". If that is the case then I wonder about some sort of remote desktop?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is true that Java can not run in iOS. Neither can Flash. That's why the browsers that offer it actually run them on remote servers, and just show the results on your iPad.

Yes, a remote desktop client will let you do anything you can run on your computer, though with some UI overhead. Speed can also be an issue if you're not on the same wi-fi network.

An often cited favorite is Splashtop.

Most reactions