What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking for the technologically impaired

aba10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello there,

I have an ipad 1 version 5.1.1 and I would like to have an untethered jailbreak. I have already read some of the posts on this site on jailbreaking but I am confused on how the process happens. Do I do it on my ipad itself? Or do I connect my ipad to my computer and do the process on my computer?

Also, what program(s) do you recommend for jailbreaking? I would prefer to have these programs do the untethered jailbreaking.

If you need any more info on my situation, please ask me!

Thanks!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello there,

I have an ipad 1 version 5.1.1 and I would like to have an untethered jailbreak. I have already read some of the posts on this site on jailbreaking but I am confused on how the process happens. Do I do it on my ipad itself? Or do I connect my ipad to my computer and do the process on my computer?

Also, what program(s) do you recommend for jailbreaking? I would prefer to have these programs do the untethered jailbreaking.

If you need any more info on my situation, please ask me!

Thanks!

The answer to your first two questions is yes. The jail break is done on your iPad by using your computer. You download the jail breaking tools, connect your iPad to your computer, activate the tools and sit back to watch the magic happen. It really is that easy. :)

Since you probably have a lot of "stuff" on your iPad, the tool I recommend is redsn0w. Here is a tutorial on using this tool: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=49435

Oh, and make a backup before you start. Just in case as it's always good to make backups before you start something new.

If you follow the tutorial, then you will be jail broken on iOS 5.1.1. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

P.S. Yes, there is another jailbreak tool, Absinthe 2.0. However, because your iPad probably has a lot of "stuff" on it, I recommend the redsn0w tool. I've heard too many stories about Absinthe needing a "clean" iPad to work (e.g. close to a brand new, out of the box condition). Not to say Absinthe won't work - but you did ask which one I'd recommend... :)

P.P.S. And, since you talk about a jail broken iPad, I've taken the liberty of moving your post over to the Hacking section. Thanks for your understanding.

Last edited:
OP
A

aba10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for your reply. Do I download the jailbreaking tools on my computer?

Sorry, I'm just a little technologically impaired.

Thanks.

P.S. Thanks for moving it! It may help many more people with my problems :)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
aba10, yes you need to use your PC and run the tools on there. If you follow the tutorial Marilyn pointed you to (up to and including step 4) it should be self explanatory.

brittany16950

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, I have the same issue. I love my iPad 1, but I don't have a computer and I'd like to do so much more with my iPad, including using a discount camera connection kit I bought. (I'm a broke grad student.) but I don't want to turn my iPad into a paperweight. So I need guidance on how to do this safely. Do you have some advice for me? Do you have a link to the right jail breaking program so I can choose the safest one? Can Save my iPad backup on a flash drive?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is all in the link provided above. Our tutorials are comprehensive and provide all the information you need. We have lots of detailed sticky threads in this section, such as http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24377-jailbreaking-methods-ipad.html. Please read them! :)

However, you will NOT be able to jailbreak if you don't have a computer. The process relies on one. Sorry :(

brittany16950

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have access to a computer at school. But I don't have one at home. Can I jailbreak it at school?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have access to a computer at school. But I don't have one at home. Can I jailbreak it at school?

Technically, but the PC must have iTunes installed and you normally need a user account that has administrator privileges so you can download and use redsn0w on it. I'm not sure whether that will apply to a PC you have access to at school or not? :)

brittany16950

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, we can download iTunes. They don't save- as soon as we log out, everything disappears. I just needed to know if I needed a computer to turn it on. I've heard that you have to connect it every time you turn it on and off.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, we can download iTunes. They don't save- as soon as we log out, everything disappears. I just needed to know if I needed a computer to turn it on. I've heard that you have to connect it every time you turn it on and off.

No, that would be for a tethered jailbreak. However, if you have iOS 5.1.1 on your iPad, you can do an UNtethered jailbreak, which means you don't have to have it connected to a computer every time you turn it on or off.

For more details on jail breaking, have a look at this thread (it might help in understanding all the finer nuances of jailbreaking): http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreak-explained-new-updated-2011-a.html

Marilyn

brittany16950

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh. You were right. I need administrator permissions to run Absinthe and so I can't use it. Darn. Not gonna happen. Pooh...

Most reactions

Latest posts