What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jail breaking issue

oefootball_70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just downloaded the new redsn0w.

And I get through the entire process and this is what cydia looks like....

a78a1a2b.png

Any pointers or help? I might try to restore the ipad to the last update, and try again.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oefootball_70 said:
I just downloaded the new redsn0w.

And I get through the entire process and this is what cydia looks like....

Any pointers or help? I might try to restore the ipad to the last update, and try again.

Try reseting the iPad to see if it'll clear it up and make icon appear correctly. While iPad on, hold home and sleep button down at same time for like 5-10 secs. The iPad should reboot to apple logo screen. Then check to see if it cleared it. If not, do what u said. Restore to most recent backup, then try the update/jailbreak again.

Sent From IPF app, if u need to know about the wonders of Jailbrake, inbox me!

OP
oefootball_70

oefootball_70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder..... I was only 4.3 so I went back and updated to 4.3.1 and cydia was gone. So I went through redsn0w again. Update will follow shortly....

It worked that time :)

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oefootball_70 said:
I wonder..... I was only 4.3 so I went back and updated to 4.3.1 and cydia was gone. So I went through redsn0w again. Update will follow shortly....

It worked that time :)

Glad to hear that. Have fun with the new JB!

crash383

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a different issue. I have downloaded Redsnow and the 4.3.1 ipsw. I start the process and I can't get Redsnow to recognize the 4.3.1. I have renamed it with the ipsw extention and still no luck.

Anyone else have this issue or can suggest a workaround?

Droidmakespwn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to this whole jail breaking thing and I was wondering if I use an app that's designed for an older fw is it going to mess up my device?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Droidmakespwn said:
I am new to this whole jail breaking thing and I was wondering if I use an app that's designed for an older fw is it going to mess up my device?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No it shouldn't, but if only designed so far for older fw, it probably wont wrk. Unless there's an update for that app. No need to worry, I would think. Just update the app, if one is out already.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
crash383 said:
I have a different issue. I have downloaded Redsnow and the 4.3.1 ipsw. I start the process and I can't get Redsnow to recognize the 4.3.1. I have renamed it with the ipsw extention and still no luck.

It shouldn't need to be renamed. When u downloaded the redsnow zip file, all needed components are with in it. That's why they said to make a folder on your pc called "Pwnage" then put the redsnow jailbrake tool zip file in there. Then unzip the file with in the folder. Once unzipped, you will see the components needed including the ipsw file that redsnow requests.
Before any of that, you have to already have iPad updated to iOS 4.3.1 already. If none of that works, I would redownload the jailbrake tool to try again in case it's corrupted or something not working in it. Make sure to download the tool link that corresponds to the type of computer u have. If it's pc, make sure u download from windows link. Mac, from the Mac link. Pwnage tool works with Mac also.

crash383

iPF Noob
Reaction score
crash383 said:

It shouldn't need to be renamed. When u downloaded the redsnow zip file, all needed components are with in it. That's why they said to make a folder on your pc called "Pwnage" then put the redsnow jailbrake tool zip file in there. Then unzip the file with in the folder. Once unzipped, you will see the components needed including the ipsw file that redsnow requests.
Before any of that, you have to already have iPad updated to iOS 4.3.1 already. If none of that works, I would redownload the jailbrake tool to try again in case it's corrupted or something not working in it. Make sure to download the tool link that corresponds to the type of computer u have. If it's pc, make sure u download from windows link. Mac, from the Mac link. Pwnage tool works with Mac also.

I have followed all of the instructions to the letter. I have downloaded all of the files from the suggested sites. I still can't get redsnow to recognize the ipsw files in the 4.3.1 that I downloaded. Can someone steer me in the right direction? I am not new to this and successfully jailbroke before with greenpoison.

Reaction score
Often Apple releases multiple ipw's with similar names:
iPad 1,1 ********.ipw
iPad 1,2*********.ipw

You could download both and see which one works. That is what I ended up doing, as I couldn't figure out the diff. between them.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have followed all of the instructions to the letter. I have downloaded all of the files from the suggested sites. I still can't get redsnow to recognize the ipsw files in the 4.3.1 that I downloaded. Can someone steer me in the right direction? I am not new to this and successfully jailbroke before with greenpoison.

Can you post the exact name of the file you downloaded and state the location you downloaded it from together with its exact file size.

If redsn0w can recognise it then, for whatever reason, it is corrupt or invalid. IE it is not the right file or it has not downloaded properly.

Your best source for IPSW files is Apple. There is always a post on redmondpie which gives you direct download links for each iDevice.

The 4.3.1 page is Download iOS 4.3.1 for iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad 2, iPad, iPod touch [Direct Links] | Redmond Pie

If you download the IPSW using the iPad1 link on this post you should be good to go.

Most reactions