What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've still to update to iOS6 or should I wait a bit longer.

L

Lunar

I have a new iPad-3 64gb/4g and still running with vers 5.1.1 and have no issues whatsoever with it. I'm normally one of the early adopters when it comes to upgrading to later firmware versions, but on this occasion happed to be away on holiday when it got released, and with the reservations about some issues with V6 I've been holding off a wee bit.

So my question is, would you have still updated to v6 knowing what you know now. ? IOW do all the pluses make up for the few minor issues.
Should I hold off for a little longer?

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would but I've had zero issues.........with 2 different iPods.
In fact, I traded my 32GB iPad3 in for a 64GB model and the first thing I did was upgrade to iOS 6.0.

I like it and performs well for me.
But, there definitely are a lot of threads with concerns, which I don't understand how it can work so great for some and others seem plagued with issues.

If your gun-shy, and it works great now I guess it doesn't hurt to hold off a bit.
I suspect Apple will come out very shortly with an update to fix some of the reported problems.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I updated my iPad 2 and would not want to go back. I intend to update my phone too as soon as I can get around to it.

The lack of a native YouTube app doesn't bother me. The only misgiving I had was that it would not be possible to upload video to YouTube, and in fact this is not the case. YouTube still shows up as a sharing option in Camera Roll.

Likewise, Maps is not a big deal for me. There are plenty of solutions available, and Google's coverage of the locations of interest to me is extremely poor in any case, so I lost nothing by updating.

I haven't had any of the widely reported wifi problems, and get much faster downloads in Safari. Battery life is also the same as before.

For me, iOS 6 is an improvement, and I'm satisfied with it.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

ladyljd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't do it to yourself! Like and idiot I trustingly updated my iPad3 only to find IOS6 had completely destroyed the play-ability of my favorite time management game. The touch interface has been compromised to the point where the game is useless.

On top of that, the system itself is slower. Wifi connection takes longer and is sketchily slow. And the home button problem remains. Trust me, don't upgrade!!

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't do it to yourself! Like and idiot I trustingly updated my iPad3 only to find IOS6 had completely destroyed the play-ability of my favorite time management game. The touch interface has been compromised to the point where the game is useless.

On top of that, the system itself is slower. Wifi connection takes longer and is sketchily slow. And the home button problem remains. Trust me, don't upgrade!!

WoW...
You sure you don't have an Android device?
...or you upgraded to 6.6.6 instead of 6.0? :D

Makes me think with all those issues you have iPad hardware problems not iOS 6.0 issues. :eek:

BlueSky77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it isn't broken, don't fix it. That's my position. I have iOS 5.1.1 on my 64gb iPad3 and it's working flawlessly! My wifi reception is excellent, my battery life is outstanding, everything just WORKS.

I understand that most folks who update to iOS6 don't have any problems. However, there are reports of some having issues. I'm not a gambling man. Since everything works fine right now with 5.1.1, I will not update until there is an incremental update by Apple (iOS6.1 or whatever) that fixes the issues that some are having with iOS6. Even then I won't update until it's been out for a couple weeks and there are no other major issues that crop up. It would be one thing if it was possible to downgrade to iOS 5.1.1 if iOS 6 didn't work out for you... but unfortunately that's not possible. Once you update, you are stuck with it for better or worse. I'll play it safe.

If you are happy with what you have, why mess with it? Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Heh. I'm not a big user of iOS Maps, so them tossing that out is of not consequence to me. The Youtube app went too, and that doesn't bother me either. iOS adds enough new features (like being able to add attachments to emails, use bold, italics, do not distrub, etc) that it is totally worth the update. I think a simple reset network settings will fix many of the issues that some have.

Technology users must keep up with the software.

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying this new iPad 3 with iOS6 installed. It does seem to be a much richer experience with many of the new available features and updated functionality.

Like loading pictures to an email, was backwards before, and having access to files and folders for website uploads has been improved, it actually works now.

These and many others, as users experience is feature rich, your milage may vary from mine.

Anyone "unupdated" d- -b you can't enjoy the Siri experience, and that in itself is worth the update effort.
For any draw backs to your maps, mine work great, complete with turn by turn voice assistance of Siri.

Chas

zip255

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would not update to iOS six to save my life,,,

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like Google maps and am not wild about any iOS 6 features, so haven't updated my iPad or iPhone. I have updated my touch 4 to test drive iOS 6, but was not impressed. I got Siri last year on iPhone 4S and didn't find it useful. I toyed with it and the novelty wore off after three days of asking it where I could bury a body, get a drink, etc.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We have upgraded over 12,000 enterprise iOS devices with virtually no issues. iOS 6 is more stable than iOS 5 was.

Maps are not an issue here.

Most reactions

Latest posts