What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTunes

DanBarraclough04

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently upgraded my PC and my iPad was synced with my old PC. If I sync my iPad with my new PC will I loose all of my music and have to re-add it or will it be ok and still be there? I don't want to be messing around re-adding all of my music again onto iTunes for the sake of one new album that I want.

Thanks,

Dan

WisdomSeed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DanBarraclough04 said:
I recently upgraded my PC and my iPad was synced with my old PC. If I sync my iPad with my new PC will I loose all of my music and have to re-add it or will it be ok and still be there? I don't want to be messing around re-adding all of my music again onto iTunes for the sake of one new album that I want.

Thanks,

Dan

Are you able to move your iTunes library from the old co,putter to the. Ew one?i

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Thanks,

Dan

Be very careful. Never connect your iPad to a strange or new PC that it does not know. It will wreak havoc on your iPad. Stuff will go missing and it will seem like your iPad got raped or something (this is what I felt happened to mine when I did this) You need to either move your itunes from the old PC to the new one, or back up to the cloud, or continue to use the old PC, or just start fresh on the new PC. Google around to find out how to move your old itunes to the new PC.

OP
D

DanBarraclough04

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Be very careful. Never connect your iPad to a strange or new PC that it does not know. It will wreak havoc on your iPad. Stuff will go missing and it will seem like your iPad got raped or something (this is what I felt happened to mine when I did this) You need to either move your itunes from the old PC to the new one, or back up to the cloud, or continue to use the old PC, or just start fresh on the new PC. Google around to find out how to move your old itunes to the new PC.

Problem is, I don't have the old PC anymore :(

jweakley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DanBarraclough04 said:

Dan,

There are programs for our PC that will allow you to upload from your iPad to your PC. Just run an Internet search.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Maybe you can google around to see if there is a PC program what can read what's on your iPad and transfer it to your computer. But I'd make sure any PC you connect your iPad to does not have iTunes installed....or else.

mckeown05

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've done this several times and with iCloud it's easier to re-download items again than it previously has been.

Just install iTunes on your new computer then in preferences select 'Prevent iPhone/iPad from syncing automatically' under the devices tab, you can then connect you iPad and it won't auto sync. Now select 'Transfer purchases from iPod' from the file menu and it will begin transferring purchases from your iPad, please note this will only transfer purchases you made and not anything you've ripped from a CD for example, you will need to add them back to your computer yourself. If you get a message to say your iPad is synced with another computer just select cancel.

Check you now have everything on your iPad replicated on your computer, if so you can now sync.

If for some reason you lose some purchases just go to the iTunes store select purchases and re-download the items.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good advice above, which you should follow.

If, however, you authorize your new PC (Store/Authorize This Computer) you should not have any problems. Make sure automatic syncing is turned off in iTunes on the new computer before you plug your iPad in (Edit/Preferences/Devices/Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically).

I removed an album from iTunes and then synced, expecting it to be removed from my iPad and iPhone, but it stayed right where it was, so it is not a foregone conclusion that you will lose your existing music. You just have to be careful.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is great info. I wish I had know this before I had an incident with iTunes!!!!

Most reactions