What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

itunes not seeing new ipad2?

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
hi guys

i've got itunes on my old xp computer and on my new xp64 computer.
my itunes library is on a separate portable hard drive.

i can plug my ipod Touch into any of the 2 computers and itunes recognises it instantly.

but, i can only get my old computer to recognise my new ipad. it just isn't registering on my new pc. must i do something in it's itunes set up to rectify this?

also, my ipad only seems to charge when i plug it into the wall. the usb lead that comes with it doesn't charge the device when plugged into a pc. is this correct?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi guys

i've got itunes on my old xp computer and on my new xp64 computer.
my itunes library is on a separate portable hard drive.

i can plug my ipod Touch into any of the 2 computers and itunes recognises it instantly.

but, i can only get my old computer to recognise my new ipad. it just isn't registering on my new pc. must i do something in it's itunes set up to rectify this?

also, my ipad only seems to charge when i plug it into the wall. the usb lead that comes with it doesn't charge the device when plugged into a pc. is this correct?

The iPad charger supplies 2A whereas a normal PC USB port is limited to 500mA. As a result, when the iPad is plugged in to a PC it only trickle charges *very* slowly, so the iPad displays not charging to 'warn you'.

Which of the two computers that you are talking about did you use to initialise the iPad? Connecting an iPad to multiple computers is fraught with problems....

Tim

OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i initially pluged my ipad, straight from the box, into my new xp64 computer. it made the funny noise, but wasn't recognised my itunes. (it is the latest version btw). it just had the on-screen graphic asking me to plug into itunes.

i then unplugged the usb and plugged it in to my old xp32 machine. again, the funny little noise, then instantly itunes automatically recognised my ipad in the devices column on the left and i initialised my ipad.

so now my new pc itunes still doesnt recognise my ipad, but it instantly recognises my Touch.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i initially pluged my ipad, straight from the box, into my new xp64 computer. it made the funny noise, but wasn't recognised my itunes. (it is the latest version btw). it just had the on-screen graphic asking me to plug into itunes.

i then unplugged the usb and plugged it in to my old xp32 machine. again, the funny little noise, then instantly itunes automatically recognised my ipad in the devices column on the left and i initialised my ipad.

so now my new pc itunes still doesnt recognise my ipad, but it instantly recognises my Touch.

Here's Apple's advice...

Using iPad or iPod with multiple computers

Tim

OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
thanks fellers

yes, thats probably the issue. it took me a while to get the ruddy thing installed in xp64 in the first place!

i'll read into that as soon as i get 5 mins!

ta

OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
The iPad charger supplies 2A whereas a normal PC USB port is limited to 500mA. As a result, when the iPad is plugged in to a PC it only trickle charges *very* slowly, so the iPad displays not charging to 'warn you'.

Tim

right. so all normal then.

so i take it that this 'not charging' message i see really means it is charging, but very very slowly. or, put it another way, it isn't loosing charge?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Tim

right. so all normal then.

so i take it that this 'not charging' message i see really means it is charging, but very very slowly. or, put it another way, it isn't loosing charge?

I have yet to understand whether it's actually charging if the iPad's switched on but it would clearly be charging if it was switched off.

Tim

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is on it's likely pulling more then the is being provided. Had that happen while plugged in by extended USB cable to my charger while running HDMI out for a little impromptu demo. My iPad was using more charge then was actually getting to it (I partly blame the USB extentsion cable for that).

OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
I am fairly certain, that windows XP x64 is causing this problem. iTunes, or rather the iOS device drivers do not run properly under XP x64. The problem is, that your XP doesn't have the iPad drivers, so it cannot be recognized.

You can make it work, but it will take a while:
How to install iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad drivers on Windows XP 64 bit

cheers mate.

it was a simple case of updating the ipad drivers in the device manager. all working now :)

Most reactions