What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Itunes-Music-Stored on Seagate Wifi?

mortymoose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't like having 45Gb worth of music on my limited Ipads 64gb space.

Purchased a 1TB Seagate Wireless drive, place my music on it.

Not mad about the Seagate Media Ipad App....

Is it possible to still use Itunes, but "point" it to the music stored on the wifi drive, building the library in this manner?

If not, surely, somewhere out there in the big cyberworld, some wise person has coded and app that can do this...... ?

I have tried a number of music apps that allow me to stream or download the music from the Wifi drive, but I want to be able to "browse" my music from my ipad, creating playlists.....

Thanking you in advance,,

The Moose

OP
M

mortymoose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that!

I actually found sort of a solution at LINK: http://ipod.about.com/od/advanceditunesuse/a/Itunes-External-Hard-Drive.htm
But this does not help me, as my music is in Lossless format and I am not in the mood to convert everything to Apple Lossless format,

At this stage it might be easier to find an alternative app that does a similar job to the Native Music app on the Ipad!

Any suggestions?

Kieran2001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear mortymoose,
It's me again. I hope this isn't against the terms of service but I would like to contact on on kik (a popular iOS messaging service). Please tell me if I'm allowed to tell you my username or not. I'm not good at remembering rules,sorry.

Kind Regards,
Kieran (This message was sent from a iPad Air)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for that!

I actually found sort of a solution at LINK: http://ipod.about.com/od/advanceditunesuse/a/Itunes-External-Hard-Drive.htm
But this does not help me, as my music is in Lossless format and I am not in the mood to convert everything to Apple Lossless format...............

In your OP, no mention was made that your 45 GB of music were in a 'lossless' format - what audio codec is used, e.g. FLAC, WAV, et al?

Have you considered conversion into a 'lossy' format for your iDevice, such as AAC or MP3 (the latter on my iPad Air 2 - 13 GB of music, which would likely be 60+ GB uncompressed!)? If so, even at excellent bit rates, such as 256 Kbps, the overall size of those files would likely be less that 10 GB - if interested, I'll be glad to go into further details. Dave :)

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple Lossless is about half the size of AIFF, the native format of Redbook CD. 128-bit AAC is typically about 1/10 the size. AAC is not good enough for playing through a high-end home stereo system, but is fine for earbud listening. iTunes converts AIFF to Apple Lossless very quickly, since there's apparently no resampling required, only a different file format. Downsampling to AAC takes awhile.

I have about 55 GB of Apple Lossless music in iTunes on my iMac, representing around 120 CDs. It sounds identical to the original CDs played through the same DAC.

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I couldn't get what you are really asking for. Better elaborate it more sir. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts