What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Itunes backup, just pondering here....

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I asked the question not long ago about moving one Ipad from a dead computer to another computer and nothing I've found has really gotten me to do it. My husband's gen 1 is tethered to his now dead computer but has IOS5.0.1 so firmware is upgraded via wifi. Though we share an Apple account I set up a separate Apple ID for him so we could use Imessaging and didn't merge Photostreams. I've been told if I bring him to my computer and add him, his ipad will be a 'new' Ipad and will essentially wipe it.

So I wonder in these days of firmware upgrades by wifi, Photostream (and Dropbox for essential things) why does he need to be added to any computer? Am I off the rails thinking this? I wondered about those people who can now buy an Ipad without owning a computer to use Itunes. I can't think of any reason to add him and have to deal with resetting everything up from email to downloading books, photos, apps, etc.

BTW I have my old Nano, my Touch, my Ipad 1 and will add an Ipad 3 when its available (keeping my gen 1 for Rhapsody downloads since my Touch/battery are aging and Ipad is just easier to deal with playlists, etc.). Will also add at least one Iphone in late Spring when our current contracts are up. I haven't even upgraded Touch to 5.0.1 since I know it will wipe all my Rhapsody downloads of hundreds and hundreds of tracks/albums and necessitate redownloading which will take hours at least. I don't go near Itunes to be truthful for anything Ipad, Touch related LOL. I'm so happy can do firmware upgrades via wifi with IOS 5.

Sort of thinking out loud but would like any input for something I'm missing. BTW I figured if his Ipad has to be reset to default it will be the same as adding it to Itunes now so can't see any urgent reason to do it. He doesn't have thecontent that I have but I'm backed up in Icloud (as is he for Goodreader primarily) as well as Dropbox and Itunes too--but is that not redundant???

Diane B

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iTunes on the computer does add a few things that you can not do in iCloud, but if you don't need those features then there is no particular reason you need to connect the iPad to iTunes.

It is possible to add an iPad to a new computer without erasing all it's content. I'll post my best take on that procedure below, but I say if you don't see a need for iTunes, don't bother with it. If you decide later that you need his iPad connected to the computer you can go through the hassle then.

Disclaimer: Use your best judgement when going through this. Every one has a slightly different situation and I can't predict them all, or what might go wrong.

Here is Apple's recommendations on how to transfer all your stuff to a new iPhone. With a few modifications it works very well for moving your iPad to a new computer. Wish I could find one as well written for the actual task.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4137

Start by going into iTunes Preferences (before connecting the iPad) and turning off auto-sync. It is under the Devices tab. This will prevent any unwanted syncing before you are ready.

Do only the parts that apply to your information/situation (i.e.; if you are syncing contacts with Google, don't do the Personal Information Manager part. Stop when you get to the Restore step.

It would be wise, after the Transfer Purchases option to go through iTunes and make sure everything (media, app, book) got transferred. If not you may have a few more steps to insure all your stuff gets safely backed up on the computer.

NOTE: If you have picture albums in the Photos app, and they are not backed up somewhere other than the iPad, you need to save them first before doing anything else. The first sync will remove them. The PhotoSync app works well for this, and you can use it before starting any of the other procedures.

The quality of the pictures recovered this way will probably not match the originals. iTunes optimizes photos for viewing on the iPad when it syncs them.

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. That's pretty much how I saw it as I thought about his uses which are different from mine. He has no needs that require Itunes LOL. The only reason I connected his to itunes in the last year and a half was for firmware upgrades.

My next thing to research is how I will move everything, content and all, to Ipad 3 when I get mine. I'm sure I've seen that discussed before so I'll find it when I need it. Gen one will likely get wiped a
nd Rhapsody added back and then used for music only. I'm so looking forward to 3.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

Transferring to another iPad is mostly a matter of careful backups and a restore from backup to the new device. The wise person will backup important documents and pictures separately; since you can't just download those again if something goes wrong.

Most reactions

Latest posts