What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

itunes app issue

okey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have got itunes running on a pc with all my albums on it, and i have got a ipad 3 "ios9.3.5"

Is there a way i can open itunes on my ipad and incorporate my mp3's from my itunes app on my pc.

I have got media sharing setup within itunes on my pc, but there is no library within the music app on my ipad 3,

What i want to do is use the airplay feature to two different rooms but have all my media stored on my pc shared.

Hope you can help

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have got itunes running on a pc with all my albums on it, and i have got a ipad 3 "ios9.3.5"
Is there a way i can open itunes on my ipad and incorporate my mp3's from my itunes app on my pc.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) As to your first question(s) above, music in your iTunes library can be transferred to your iPad - details HERE - for myself, I usually define playlists in iTunes on my MBookPro, plug in my iPad, and then drag the playlists wanted to my iDevice; iTunes on your iPad is basically just the store - the 'Music' app stores your music - also, music files are large, so please provide information on how much storage is left on your device (Settings -> General -> About -> Available).

Now, if you do not have enough 'room' on your iPad to store much music, then there are plenty of cloud based options; if interested, check the links: 1) iTunes Match; 2) iCloud Music Library; 3) Apple Music; and 4) Home Sharing.

I have got media sharing setup within itunes on my pc, but there is no library within the music app on my ipad 3,
What i want to do is use the airplay feature to two different rooms but have all my media stored on my pc shared.

As already stated, your music is handled differently in iTunes on a computer vs. a device running iOS. Concerning AirPlay, do you understand the Apple proprietary technology? If not, check the link. AirPlay requires compatible hardware/software - used primarily w/ an Apple TV (do you own one?) and/or w/ other devices, such as speakers. You could also consider NAS and place your iTunes library on a network storage device and configure your options accordingly. Let me stop there because you have PLENTY of options and also a need to do a some reading to better understand these choices. Dave

OP
O

okey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Thanks for that

I am trying to use home sharing, so i have all my music on my pc (itunes) and i am logged in with my apple id on both pc and ipad 3, but when i goto the music app on my ipad, there is no option for media sharing.

I have got it switched on in the music settings on the main ipad, but it does not show any media library within the music app on the ipad

Hope you understand

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've used Home Sharing before, though from a Mac not a PC. It should be possible. I haven't used it in quite a while, and I'm not at home right now so I can't test to see if it's still working. Also, I'm not sure if it is compatible with iCloud Music Library, which I've been using for over a year (and is the reason why I don't bother with Home Sharing anymore).

I'll try and remembe to take a look when I get home.

In the mean time, in case you haven't found it already, here is Apple's support page on Home Sharing. It might help.

Home Sharing - Get Started - Apple Support

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've used Home Sharing before, though from a Mac not a PC. It should be possible. I haven't used it in quite a while, and I'm not at home right now so I can't test to see if it's still working. Also, I'm not sure if it is compatible with iCloud Music Library, which I've been using for over a year (and is the reason why I don't bother with Home Sharing anymore).

I'll try and remembe to take a look when I get home.

In the mean time, in case you haven't found it already, here is Apple's support page on Home Sharing. It might help.

Home Sharing - Get Started - Apple Support
I've used home sharing on a PC running Windows 7 as well as several Macs running OS X Lion, El Capitan, and macOS Sierra. It works on them all.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, I checked. It still works, though I had to sign back in on both the iPad and the iMac.

One thing to keep in mind is that iTunes must be running on the computer for Home Sharing to work. It's not a background task. Once it is working you'll find it in the Library tab, at the bottom of the list.

Image.jpeg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One difference between Home Sharing on iOS devices and computers it that you can download shared content to a second computer but can only stream content to an iOS device.

OP
O

okey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't find library on my music app, its missing on my ipad, i have uploaded a photo of my music app on my ipad

Attachments

• 1489524668937-599941517.jpg
    1489524668937-599941517.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 472

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That is strange. Try downloading at least one song to the iPad and see if the Library option appears. Also, check out that @ Connect tab. I have no idea what it is (I don't have it) but it sounds promising.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, yes, I forgot about the Connect feature. Thanks.

I don't see it on mine. I wonder if it got removed with iOS 10, or some settings is hiding it. Not that I care much. I've never used the feature.
You're welcome.

It's on all my devices, including those on iOS 10.3 beta.

OP
O

okey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any ideas why the library is missing on mine guys

Most reactions

Latest posts