What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Itunes alternative?

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Hi dudes

i'm getting a new ipad 2 real soon :)

but my old regular pc at home with itunes on it has recently died. So i now rely on my work pc, which uses XP64, which cant have itunes for that o.s. (without some hacking, which im not going to do).

So what are my alternatives? I just want a program i can manually copy music and video back and forth. I download Apps direct to my devise.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
You will need iTunes to activate your iPad when you pull it out of the box. It will also be needed for firmware upgrades.

You can install the 32-big version and run it in Compatibility mode. I had to do this with XP64 until I upgraded to 7.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi dudes

i'm getting a new ipad 2 real soon :)

but my old regular pc at home with itunes on it has recently died. So i now rely on my work pc, which uses XP64, which cant have itunes for that o.s. (without some hacking, which im not going to do).

So what are my alternatives? I just want a program i can manually copy music and video back and forth. I download Apps direct to my devise.

There's no need to use iTunes...OK - first sync when you purchase your iPad - possibly...

After that you can transfer any files from your PC to iPad using a number of third party apps.

I use 'GoodReader' - the 'Swiss Army Knife' for iPads...it can transfer files via USB (that cable you got with your iPad) or WiFi. When they're in GoodReader you can open them from GoodReader if you've an app installed that can handle those files.

It's universally acclaimed by iPad users as their No.1 'Must have' app. It allows you to import any file - any format - any size - and open it if you have a compatible app.

OK - disclaimer - I have no association with GoodReader - other than being a satisfied customer...

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

Tim
Snowy Scotland

OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
You will need iTunes to activate your iPad when you pull it out of the box. It will also be needed for firmware upgrades.

yeah. i kinda know this. i'm dealing with it (i hope) :)

You can install the 32-big version and run it in Compatibility mode. I had to do this with XP64 until I upgraded to 7.

wow, how do i run it in compatibility mode? i've never even been able to install it in the past

OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
You have to run it in Compatibility Mode. There is plenty of documentation on it. I no longer use XP64 and haven't in some time. I do not remember the exact steps.

hmm. cant find any documentation, other than the fact it seems itunes runs in compatibility mode by default.

but it wont even install let alone run in the first place :(

Sarah_Grosi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alternative iPad music player is Panamp - It has basic iOS music player features, and it is outstanding by it's ability to make dynamic queues: quick mix of selected tracks
and power search that quickly and efficiently find the artict, album and tracks.

OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Sarah - iOS apps are not the issue. Music playing isn't a problem. This post is/was about iTunes on a desktop computer

I eventually installed iTunes via the infamous xp64 hack. Works a treat, nice and easy.

And, i've made a conscious effort to embrace and use and regulaly sync with iTunes and my idevices. I don't do much music and video transfer. 99% of my time in iTunes is backing up, and boy have I needed it on 2 occasions.

I don't really really really really hate iTunes anymore. I just really really really hate it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts