What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iTune won't recognize my JBroken iPad2

Surfinette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I've successfully JBroken my iPad2 about 10 days ago. The freedom is great, as I was dying for iFile and other great apps only available to JB.

Last night, I've plugged my iPad to the PC for the first time since JBreaking only to discover that iTune does not recognize my iPad anymore: When launching iTune I get a pop-up window stating that iTune cannot read the content of my iPad anymore... blah blah blah and that I need to go to the pref tab and Restore my iPad to its original state. :(
Is this normal behavior after a JB?

I'm not dying to use iTune, but I'm annoyed that iTune cannot "see" my iPad anymore.
- Is there anything I can do to fix that without a restore of the iPad?
- more importantly, if I do a Restoration of the iPad through iTune, will this automatically update my iOS to 4.3.4 (which I want to avoid, even though I have saved my SHSH (or believe i have))?
- is it possible to backup my Cydia apps/tweaks before restoring through iTune?

Thank you in advance for your help...

papabear55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From my experiences with my JB phone this can happen depending on the program used to jailbreak, they do warn you that you should be using Cydia instead of iTunes. You should be able to ignore it if you really need to transfer items from tour pc to your ipad
If you do a restore it will update and wipe away the JB
To my knowledge there is no way to backup Cydia apps

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First, there is a couple of Cydia apps that'll let you backup your jailbreak "stuff." The one I like to use is called PKGBackup ($7.99, USD). With it, you can save a backup of your tweaks and settings to either a folder within your Contacts on on Dropbox. So, if you have indeed saved your SHSH blobs (the 4.3.3 ones), you'll be able to use PKGBackup to restore your iPad to it's jailbroken state, should that become necessary.

Now, about that iTunes sync...

First, did you jailbreak is using the site JailbreakMe.com? Some of the other sites are a bit dodgy and may cause trouble...

I'm going to assume you are trying to use the same iTunes/PC combo you had before your jailbreak. So, what version of iTunes are you running? Also, do you have the "connect automatically" box UNchecked under the preferences in iTunes? Also, are you using the cable that came with the iPad. Lastly, try plugging the iPad into your PC directly - as in, not through a USB hub/extender.

And, can you post exactly what the iTunes message is?

Once we have those answers, we can start digging deeper. I've not heard of not being able to connect to iTunes with a JailbreakMe ipad - so we'll have to work through it...

Marilyn

OP
S

Surfinette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your answers

First, did you jailbreak is using the site JailbreakMe.com?
Yes I did

I'm going to assume you are trying to use the same iTunes/PC combo you had before your jailbreak.
Good guess!

So, what version of iTunes are you running?

Also, do you have the "connect automatically" box UNchecked under the preferences in iTunes?
I don't know, but I can't find this box in the pref settings... in which tab is it?

Also, are you using the cable that came with the iPad.
No/Yes : I use an official Apple cable meant for the iPad (same cable sold with the same electric power plug)

Lastly, try plugging the iPad into your PC directly - as in, not through a USB hub/extender.
My PC is actually a laptop so I guess it is direct...

And, can you post exactly what the iTunes message is?
"iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPad "iPad de EMMA". Go to the Summary tab in iPad preferences and click Restore to restore this iPad to factory settings."

Hope this will help figuring out what's going on

Thx

Emma, alias Surfinette

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
check under preferences and select device tab, i have prevent checked, checked.

also UNcheck "the check for software updates automatically".

should be one of the first things to do.

update your itunes, released today, i read it is jailbreak safe, http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/07/20/itunes-10-4/
maybe not needed, but i added anyway...

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
"iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPad "iPad de EMMA". Go to the Summary tab in iPad preferences and click Restore to restore this iPad to factory settings."

It seems folks get this problem and it is nothing to do with jailbeaking. Check this link on the Apple Support site. Get to the last post and give that a try. It sounds like your iTunes sync is corrupted somehow and those steps may fix it. Let us know how you get on.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2393256?start=15&tstart=0

OP
S

Surfinette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems folks get this problem and it is nothing to do with jailbeaking. Check this link on the Apple Support site. Get to the last post and give that a try. It sounds like your iTunes sync is corrupted somehow and those steps may fix it. Let us know how you get on.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0
Thank you so much: After several attemps this did the trick eventually.

Indeed, this issue was most probably not related to JB, but as suggested in the thread you mention to the fact that I had corrupted iTunes sync by unplugging the iPad while my PC laptop was in sleep mode...:(

Problem solved then.

However I have another question: I was actually attempting to sync the iPad to iTune only to feed the iPod app with music stored on my PC. Otherwise, I wouldn't need iTune so much now that my iPad is JBroken... Is it possible to feed the iPod with music without using iTune (I havn't found a tweak to do that, even through iFile)?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't used it, but look into pwntunes. It makes you completely independent for music etc.

Most reactions

Latest posts