What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues with Air

OP
panchucko

panchucko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't had any other crashes outside of the 9 and 5 site, so I tried the site on my iphone 5s and it crashed too.
So what do we take from that?

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well all I did just now was I clicked on the last members post on here and it crashed!

acostapimps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't crash going to this 9to5 site, but it was slow scrolling down while it was still loading the page, but it did crash once going back to this forum, It froze with no response it also crashed again when it closed the app.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine keeps crashing too. Interesting tests of iOS7 at web site below. Apple is aware. iOS 7 Safari Performance: A Step Backward? « GreenSock

A few of the comments are stating that apple and their very stubborn and protective policies towards the App Store and ecosystem are to partially blame for this. They don't like webGL or any other technology that could cut into their little system which is obviously quite profitable. In understand their position but they ought to be careful with this. If they irritate enough users, they'll lose them to other devices. I'm not saying any of this is 100% true but it does make some sense.

Interesting.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So I tried running Safari with just 1 tab at a time. I made it all day but it finally still crashed once later in the evening while just scrolling Facebook. So much for that idea! At least the problem is not that frequent for me.....but still irritating!

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So I tried running Safari with just 1 tab at a time. I made it all day but it finally still crashed once later in the evening while just scrolling Facebook. So much for that idea! At least the problem is not that frequent for me.....but still irritating! Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

Well, Safari will continue to crash until Apple finds and fixes the problem. I use the FB app, which crashes sometimes, but that enough to bother me.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes mine still crashes with only one tab, worth a try though, I guess we just have to wait.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
After 2 days with no crashes I have had 2 low memory crashes in Safari this morning on non intense sites like Facebook! Come on Apple get this fixed!

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
After 2 days with no crashes I have had 2 low memory crashes in Safari this morning on non intense sites like Facebook! Come on Apple get this fixed!

I'll second that, It's so annoying to have this lovely iPad that doesn't work as well as it should, spoils the enjoyment some what.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Why is FB a non-intense site? Whenever I'm on there, my screen is full of images, and on a long page, they take up a lot of memory. The site may not be executing lots of code, but it could still be using a lot of memory.

Still, it is clear that the bugs in both Safari and iOS7 aren't hammered out. Personally, I'd rather them wait and get the bugs out than to be releasing new updates that still contain bugs, and new ones at that. Pushing for bug fixes when they are not ready is just setting yourself up for more hassles. The devil you know is better than the one you don't know. Heck, I've been having problems with Android since version 4.3 and the new kitkat still has bugs. My Nexus 10 used to be flawless, now it is riddled with bugs.

RandyM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I came across a really interesting discussion about the crash issues with the iPad air. So I don't violate any rules here I won't say what forum I found this information on.
They were discussing their opinions on what the root cause of the problem was, some argued software others hardware when I reached a post from someone that said that this could be either a hardware and or software issue. He went on to explain that if you used a backup from a earlier version of an iPad the issue could be software, some kind of incompatibility between the backup and the new air depending on the apps installed or issues with the iPad the backup was created which explained why some are able to use a backup with no issues, however he then said if you did a install from new, not using the backup he felt the issue would be a hardware one. He went on to say this would be the reason Apple has been asking them to be returned, so the can find the hardware issue and address the matter.
His suggestion was to return them if the crashes continue with either method of installation and not to wipe them because data Apple could use to trouble shoot the problem could be lost (I guess this would be for those that don't share diagnostic data with Apple)

What ever is causing it I want it fixed soon.

Randy

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I came across a really interesting discussion about the crash issues with the iPad air. So I don't violate any rules here I won't say what forum I found this information on. They were discussing their opinions on what the root cause of the problem was, some argued software others hardware when I reached a post from someone that said that this could be either a hardware and or software issue. He went on to explain that if you used a backup from a earlier version of an iPad the issue could be software, some kind of incompatibility between the backup and the new air depending on the apps installed or issues with the iPad the backup was created which explained why some are able to use a backup with no issues, however he then said if you did a install from new, not using the backup he felt the issue would be a hardware one. He went on to say this would be the reason Apple has been asking them to be returned, so the can find the hardware issue and address the matter. His suggestion was to return them if the crashes continue with either method of installation and not to wipe them because data Apple could use to trouble shoot the problem could be lost (I guess this would be for those that don't share diagnostic data with Apple) What ever is causing it I want it fixed soon. Randy

Interesting info. Apple really does need to tend to this though. Hopefully it's NOT a physical Ram problem because that's a lot harder to deal with than a software problem. I believe it is software though. Strangely, I've had zero issues. I had one crash and it was with Pinball HD. They released an update and it never crashed again.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Suggesting that someone return an iPad to Apple without wiping it first is extremely bad advice.

Most reactions