What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues with Air

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think this must be a memory issue together with Safari bad code - I have iPad 1 (but looking forward to see the Air on Xmas Eve:) ) and Safari is absolutely No. 1 on my crashing apps hotlist - and I have usually just a single tab (or how to call it, it's 5.1.1 after all...). Other apps sometimes crash on me too, but nothing so hilarious as Safari.

Well, iPad 1 has only 256MB of ram....I would not compare that with a device having 4 times the RAM. But since iOS7 I too have more crashes than before...but I have not been having problems with Safari, so far (knock wood!!!).

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I finally got to talk to someone at Apple who didn't just say restore or exchange, I asked to speak to a Senior Advisor who asked me how I use my iPad rather than the stock questions, This is what he said, it may have been mentioned before somewhere but what he said was....He has spoken to many with issues with Air in the past three weeks, He asked me if when I am on the internet in Safari I have a lot of tabs open, I wasn't sure as I really don't take much notice, he says Air can't cope with too many tabs and not to have more than 6 or 8 at any time, he said that multiple tabs will cause you to run out of memory hence the Low Memory crashes I was having, So I am going to test this out by keeping my tabs to a minimum, I thought I would pass this on, it may or may not make any difference but worth trying.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok I finally got to talk to someone at Apple who didn't just say restore or exchange, I asked to speak to a Senior Advisor who asked me how I use my iPad rather than the stock questions, This is what he said, it may have been mentioned before somewhere but what he said was....He has spoken to many with issues with Air in the past three weeks, He asked me if when I am on the internet in Safari I have a lot of tabs open, I wasn't sure as I really don't take much notice, he says Air can't cope with too many tabs and not to have more than 6 or 8 at any time, he said that multiple tabs will cause you to run out of memory hence the Low Memory crashes I was having, So I am going to test this out by keeping my tabs to a minimum, I thought I would pass this on, it may or may not make any difference but worth trying.

Sorry but I don't think that is the solution though it may help. You might find this email reply to another user interesting:

Re: Ios7 problems, safari crashes

Nov 27, 2013 10:31 AM (in response to H2oplayer)

GOOD NEWS!

I received word back today from Apple Engineering. They have confirmed that it is a bug in the iOS system that crops up when connecting to various websites.

They are working on a "fix" and it will be in the next update. No delivery date was promised.

Now we wait.

Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah thank you, That's great to hear, I don't mind putting up with it for a while if I know it's been acknowledged, thanks for posting that.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The fix hasn't been added to iOS 7.1 beta yet, maybe it will be in iOS 7.1 beta 2.

RandyM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry but I don't think that is the solution though it may help. You might find this email reply to another user interesting: Re: Ios7 problems, safari crashes Nov 27, 2013 10:31 AM (in response to H2oplayer) GOOD NEWS! I received word back today from Apple Engineering. They have confirmed that it is a bug in the iOS system that crops up when connecting to various websites. They are working on a "fix" and it will be in the next update. No delivery date was promised. Now we wait. Sent from my iPad Air using iPF

I really hope this is true, I really want to get my Air before Christmas. I haven't seen anything about this posted on any other sites though. Let's pray it's accurate I want my air!

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really hope this is true, I really want to get my Air before Christmas. I haven't seen anything about this posted on any other sites though. Let's pray it's accurate I want my air!
Yes i hope it is accurate too....In the meanwhile although its very early days i am testing out the suggestion from Apple that keeping tabs to a minimum will stop crashes and so far i have had no more crashes (fingers and toes crossed) Hope i just didn't tempt fate ;)

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great to hear that apple is officially aware of the issue and has determined they end to fix something. Nice! Once this gets sorted, the Air can really start to shine. I haven't had any issues at all but still want to see this taken care of ASAP for my fellow iPad brothers and sisters.

OP
panchucko

panchucko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 128GB wifi only and I get crashes from both safari and chrome, I spoke to the person that bought my iPad 3 64GB LTE Verison, and he is getting a lot of crashes using safari. I had restored it to new before he took it he doesn't have many apps installed so I just don't know.

I have learned to live with it and can almost predict when it will crash

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here's my update, my brand new replacement Air crashed in Safari just as I suspected it would, however I have been using the new Chrome browser and so far no crashes, I will continue to use a chrome and see how it goes.

I bought an Air online and picked it up at the apple store. My Apple 3 went to a family member.
Once home I used iTunes to transfer everything I had on my iPad 3 to the Air. So far I have had no problems.
Since I live in the country I bought the 128GB with WiFi and Verizon Cellular.

One thing I noticed is the drop in signal strength. Where I had 5 bars before ((with a Wilson booster system) I now have only 3 bars. Maybe the Air's antennae are less efficient or because of the holiday the Lonely Verizon tower can't handle the traffic?

Also as someone already mentioned, the Air seems to love my fingerprints a lot. Used a screen protector with my 3rd Gen, but haven't found one for the Air yet.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great to hear that apple is officially aware of the issue and has determined they end to fix something. Nice! Once this gets sorted, the Air can really start to shine. I haven't had any issues at all but still want to see this taken care of ASAP for my fellow iPad brothers and sisters.
Well to be fair it isn't official yet (unless something has been announced while i was out for the day) I would like to see something from Apple, all the same it gives us hope that they are aware of the problems.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well to be fair it isn't official yet (unless something has been announced while i was out for the day) I would like to see something from Apple, all the same it gives us hope that they are aware of the problems.

Oops, my bad then. Don't wanna start a rumor or anything. I'm sure they'll get on it.... Hang in there.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oops, my bad then. Don't wanna start a rumor or anything. I'm sure they'll get on it.... Hang in there.
Yes they must be aware by now, I sent in a report too, every little helps, I am still testing out keeping tabs to a minimum and so far no more crashes, fingers crossed.

PatS

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am convinced it is a software compatibility issue with ios 7 and safari rather than a defect in the ipad air. My spouse and I are both using ipad2's and have had constant crashing since downloading ios 7 We were going to purchase two ipad airs but have decided to hold off until this is resolved. He is making noises about getting an android product...cringe! I look forward to getting the air when I start hearing good news.

RandyM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree its mostlikely a software issue, but Im wondering why they have been exchanging them or telling members to exchange them as some members here have reported.

Most reactions