What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues with Air

argon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
(I don't know....) There two stores in Austin (now?), and I'll stop by the other one, which is closer. I know a guy who goes to that one all the time and really likes it; he often drives down simply to look around, see what's new, play with everything, etc. He's kind of an 'Apple nut' - in a good sort of way. I'm sure many here can relate. :)

To be honest, with the problems with the iPad Air crashing, etc., and the screen problems in addition to that, I have (again) considered an Android alternative, but I don't see any that would make me happy. One reviewer rating tablets said that if you're buying your first tablet, it should be the iPad Air. I agree, and am just waiting for a safe and comfortable moment to buy. I'm sure Apple has a couple of fixes in the works. I plan on getting the 128GB model. The cost for that + AppleCare puts the purchase over $1K. That's a lot of dough for a tablet. I do have to check out a new Mac Air (?) laptop, as I heard a co-worker (who already has an iPad) say she's in love with it and is saving her money to buy one ASAP. I'm curious how compact & light it is compared to a tablet, but I don't think any laptop can be as convenient to use as a tablet for casual use. I eventually want to get the wireless components that will allow me to be able to select & play music over my stereo via the iPad as my control panel; that will be too cool.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The MacBook Air is a lovely laptop, especially the newer ones which are more powerful. I don't see it as an alternative to an iPad, however, but once the price gets close them people are going to compare them. If you have limited funds, you should carefully consider which one you need most to do what you need to do. While you can make an iPad do serious work (by adding a bluetooth keyboard, for instance), I still think a laptop is, by far, the better choice for serious productivity work. The MBA is going to weigh 3 lbs, while the iPad Air is 1lb. But you have to add a keyboard for productivity (some do manage to use the touch screen, but I think most people will not find this a suitable solution for lots of typing of long, detailed documents, speadsheets, etc.) which will add around a pound, and then you will need a case of some sort, and that is all adding to cost of the Air. With the MBA, you can run lots of more powerful programs (apps is the word for lightweight programs on lightweight devices), too. So, if you need a real computer, get the MBA (or a MacBook Pro or a Windows laptop). If your needs are light or you plan to use the device in addition to a laptop, then get the iPad. I have both and don't use them much for the same purpose. There is crossover, but there are times where one device is definitely perferred to the other.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple advised me to return my iPad Air for an exchange,I got it from Argos so exchanged it under their 28 day policy, It might not make any difference as i don't think it was a hardware problem but if if i had waited i might have had to exchange at an Apple store later and it may have been a reconditioned one, at least this way i can eliminate the chance of it being a hardware problem, I'll update again in a few days on how this one performs.

argon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...If your needs are light or you plan to use the device in addition to a laptop, then get the iPad. I have both and don't use them much for the same purpose. There is crossover, but there are times where one device is definitely perferred to the other.
The iPad will be an entertainment device -- surfing the web, listening to music, playing games, etc. Perhaps checking emal if I'm on vacation, but not likely, esp. with public Wi-Fi security issues. Just want to have fun.

RandyM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First I would like to say sorry to all of you having issues with the iPad air. And thank you for posting what is going on with attempts made to fix it that haven't worked. I will continue to monitor the forum before buying my air. I hope this is all resolved soon for everyone

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's my update, my brand new replacement Air crashed in Safari just as I suspected it would, however I have been using the new Chrome browser and so far no crashes, I will continue to use a chrome and see how it goes.

Unleashed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's my update, my brand new replacement Air crashed in Safari just as I suspected it would, however I have been using the new Chrome browser and so far no crashes, I will continue to use a chrome and see how it goes.

safari is useless ;p

Use chrome all the time, its the best browser, you can login from one machine and from the other all of your passwords and favourites will load in seconds, this reason alone makes me use chrome, as well as the easier browsing, the tabs are easier to use as well as the browser going full screen automatically when you browse the web and re appear when you scroll up, so handy :)

This is why I wish there was a default browser changer for the iPad.. and yes with out jailbreak, even though browser changer from jailbreak is the best.

So nothing else would make your iPad crash? I have never touched or opened safari since buying the iPad air

OP
panchucko

panchucko

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Very cool that you haven't had any crashes with Chrome yet, I have been using Chrome for a while now and it also seems to crash, not as often as Safari but it does crash.

Hope it keeps working for you.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very cool that you haven't had any crashes with Chrome yet, I have been using Chrome for a while now and it also seems to crash, not as often as Safari but it does crash.

Hope it keeps working for you.
Mine didn't crash all the time in Safari but the few times it did became very annoying, keeping my fingers crossed now, I asked Apple if it was a known fault and i was told it wasn't, It does seem to be more prevalent in Safari.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine didn't crash all the time in Safari but the few times it did became very annoying, keeping my fingers crossed now, I asked Apple if it was a known fault and i was told it wasn't, It does seem to be more prevalent in Safari.

Safari has lots of complaints against it lately, especially on the Air. Mine works great but I got lucky I suppose. Apple will have to figure out what's going on though, this issue with safari is fairly prevalent and needs to be dealt with.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Safari has lots of complaints against it lately, especially on the Air. Mine works great but I got lucky I suppose. Apple will have to figure out what's going on though, this issue with safari is fairly prevalent and needs to be dealt with.
It certainly does, there's too many complaints for it to be random I think....nothing to do with iPad but another Safari problem, I have to now access my google mail account on my MacBook Pro in Chrome because I had so many issues in Safari, It was really driving me mad, no amount of tweaking and changing things in preferences helped, In Chrome it's as fast as lightning with no loading issues so it's a Safari problem again.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok another update, I was fine on Chrome for a few days then the crashes started again, I have just rung Apple, We did a restore on the first iPad as a new iPad and this is my second new iPad, They are trying to find the issue, at the moment I am back on Safari and have been asked to test it all today and phone them back as soon as it crashes again with details on what I was doing when it crashed, This getting really annoying now, fingers crossed we get it sorted soon.

wrathchild

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, has everyone that's been having crashing issues all using the same model? The reason I ask is because I have had the 64GB model since launch day and I haven't experienced any problems at all. I use both safari and chrome and never experinced any chrashes.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, has everyone that's been having crashing issues all using the same model? The reason I ask is because I have had the 64GB model since launch day and I haven't experienced any problems at all. I use both safari and chrome and never experinced any chrashes.
Mine is the 16gb, I don't have a lot of apps and have lots of free space.

argon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only other model difference will be Wi-Fi only vs. Wi-Fi + Cellular.... Maybe some cell function (seeking a network, etc.,...?) is interfering with overall operation somehow.

Would all you guys with problems chime back in and let us know the model you have --- memory size and cellular (yes vs. no) capability?

Most reactions