What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues after glass repair

NikePike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everybody. So, I was successful in replacing my ipad's broken digitizer, and everything seemed alright so I put the adhesive and closed it again.

The first thing I noticed was that the power button didn't lock the device, and I thought it might be a software thing, because the button works if I want to turn it off or on. But the I noticed that some other things stopped working such as the volume down button (the volume up works fine), the mute switch, the smart cover functionality, the camera, and the one that hurt the most was the accelerometer/gyro (no screen rotation!!).

Anyway, what could this be? Did I burn something? I don't remember letting myself go with the heat gun. Does this sound like a misconnection of cables? Thanks for your help.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everybody. So, I was successful in replacing my ipad's broken digitizer, and everything seemed alright so I put the adhesive and closed it again.

The first thing I noticed was that the power button didn't lock the device, and I thought it might be a software thing, because the button works if I want to turn it off or on. But the I noticed that some other things stopped working such as the volume down button (the volume up works fine), the mute switch, the smart cover functionality, the camera, and the one that hurt the most was the accelerometer/gyro (no screen rotation!!).

Anyway, what could this be? Did I burn something? I don't remember letting myself go with the heat gun. Does this sound like a misconnection of cables? Thanks for your help.

Wow, you were courageous enough to disassemble and assemble your iPad, and get busy with a heat gun and adhesive? Something to admire but not many of us would attempt it, I think. There are certainly a lot of things not working for you any more. It would be difficult to know if you miss- connected any cables, but possibly there may be some techies on these forums who could advise.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bacardi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you have clipped the Power Button/Volume Button flex cable when getting the broken screen off, perhaps the pressure on sticking down has moved the cable. Unfortunately I think you are going to have to open it again.

OP
N

NikePike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Solved it. I opened it again, disconnected the ribbon cable and at first that didn't work. It wasn't until I did that with the device on that worked. I can't tell if it was because the ipad was on or because i finally connected it right, probably the latter. Thanks to the ones that responded.

Most reactions

Latest posts