What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ISP Change...Can't update apps

ch8armdragon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPad 3 was gift with ISP (Verizon) setup. No longer have Verizon service. New carrier (Comcast) works fine with apps purchased after change enabled. However, original apps will not update since they look to sync with Verizon. Trade off is to delete old app and repurchase same app (connecting to Comcast) tHat I already paid for (with Verizon setup). Is there any way to rid the Verizon connection from the iPad?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Will not update?

Does that mean you can see them in the Purchased and/or updates lists but they are still not updating; or that they don't show up in the Purchased list?

If the first, then you simply have an update problem. It's not a matter of having changed from Verizon to Comcast. Some people with older iPads are experiencing this after the IOS 8 update. Or rather, it's happening to people on iOS 7 who have not updated. This thread may help.

http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/app-store-application-update-issue.124516/#post-1082018

If you created a new Apple ID when you changed providers, then it's a different problem. You'll have to sign out of your current Apple ID in the App Store then sign back in with the old one to update your apps, then go back to for any new apps.

I'd eliminate one of them myself. Whichever one has the fewest apps installed/purchased. Then get the missing apps in the account you keep.

There is no reason why changing ISP providers should affect your ability to update or keep apps. It's all done through your Apple ID, which is independent of your internet provider.

OP
C

ch8armdragon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will not update?

Does that mean you can see them in the Purchased and/or updates lists but they are still not updating; or that they don't show up in the Purchased list?

If the first, then you simply have an update problem. It's not a matter of having changed from Verizon to Comcast. Some people with older iPads are experiencing this after the IOS 8 update. Or rather, it's happening to people on iOS 7 who have not updated. This thread may help.

http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/app-store-application-update-issue.124516/#post-1082018

If you created a new Apple ID when you changed providers, then it's a different problem. You'll have to sign out of your current Apple ID in the App Store then sign back in with the old one to update your apps, then go back to for any new apps.

I'd eliminate one of them myself. Whichever one has the fewest apps installed/purchased. Then get the missing apps in the account you keep.

There is no reason why changing ISP providers should affect your ability to update or keep apps. It's all done through your Apple ID, which is independent of your internet provider.
Thanks for your response. You hit the problem with the change of Apple ID. The original ID [email protected] was changed to [email protected]. I can't go back to the original ID because I no longer have verizon service. That is the mess that requires a solution.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not a complete mess. As long as your email address/ID is not already an Apple one (@mac, @me, or @icloud) you can change it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5621

The email address you chose as an Apple ID becomes a user name, more or less. You can continue to sign into your Apple account using that ID whether it is a valid email address or not. The problem comes when your forget your password or need to verify something. Unless you've set up an alternative email for those they will try to go to the same email as your ID.

Anyway, that means you can still sign into your old Apple account and do what is needed.

When you change it, I recommend changing it to an Apple email address. You don't have to use that email address if you don't want to, but it will future proof you against any future ISP changes.

Besides Apple's mail service may not be the very best available, but it's far better than the email services suppled by most ISP's, including Verizon and Comcast.

Good luck

OP
C

ch8armdragon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not a complete mess. As long as your email address/ID is not already an Apple one (@mac, @me, or @icloud) you can change it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5621

The email address you chose as an Apple ID becomes a user name, more or less. You can continue to sign into your Apple account using that ID whether it is a valid email address or not. The problem comes when your forget your password or need to verify something. Unless you've set up an alternative email for those they will try to go to the same email as your ID.

Anyway, that means you can still sign into your old Apple account and do what is needed.

When you change it, I recommend changing it to an Apple email address. You don't have to use that email address if you don't want to, but it will future proof you against any future ISP changes.

Besides Apple's mail service may not be the very best available, but it's far better than the email services suppled by most ISP's, including Verizon and Comcast.

Good luck
I appreciate how you zone in on this problem. The link to change an ID is what I used to change from the verizon to comcast ID. I can access and transact new app options, but the verizon ID remains as the sole ID for the iPad itself. Additionally it interferes with my ability to use Lightroom mobile because it asks for the verizon ID. Apple allows the ongoing ID change, but not the internal (original setup) change due to their interpretation of it as a 'security issue.' To change the ID again would seem to be simply a lateral move. It leads me to believe I need a hackers input which is way beyond my level of capability.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ah. You just need to change the Apple ID in all the places it can be changed. They tend to be independent of each other. Something that's annoying, until you want different Apple ID and iCloud ID's for various things.

Since you changed your Apple ID rather than created a new one, the problems shifts.

For this issue, make sure you've signed out and back into your Apple ID in Settings > iTunes & App Store. Other places to check in include Messages, FaceTime, iBooks, and anything else that needs Apple ID.

Now, it's entirely possible that your update problem has nothing to do with the Apple ID change. Be sure to check out that link I posted before about problems with iOS 7 and updates. Or are you on iOS 8?

As for Lightroom mobile, that will be something you'll have to work out with that app developer. Their login, whatever it is, will be separate from the Apple ID, even if you used the same username and password. You cant' use Apple ID to sign into services other than Apple's.

And you iCloud ID can be different than you Apple ID. You'll want to see what you are using to sign with there.

Most reactions

Latest posts