What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Your iPad Vulnerable to Hackers?

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

Gizmodo is reporting today that all iPads, as well as any iPhones and iPod touches with iOS 4 installed, are potentially vulnerable to a security bug that could take total control of their device. According to Gizmodo, simply visiting a malicious site with your Safari browser would enable the site to automatically load a simple PDF document, with a font that hides a special program. When your iPad or other device tries to open the file, it will cause a stack overflow, which will then enable the secret code inside the font to seize control of your iPad.

Sounds pretty scary, and it gets worse. Gizmodo says that once it gains hold of your iPad, the malicious code will be able to do whatever it likes, including deleting and transmitting files and installing background programs to monitor your actions. It might even try to beat your Angry Birds high score. Now that really would be scary.

Gizmodo says that the main way that you can protect your iPad from the vulnerability right now is to avoid going directly to any PDF links, and taking care not to load any PDFs from an unfamiliar source. Apparently jailbroken iPhones also have a system that will alert you before you download potentially malicious PDFs ("PDF loading warner" in Cydia).

Apple hasn't commented on the supposed security issue so far, so, as ever, watch this space.

Source: Gizmodo

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The most at-risk user is one who thinks his or her platform is immune from all malicious attacks. Common sense will keep you out of most of the trouble out there. I haven't had malware or virus problems on my PCs in many, many years. I'm not really too worried about my iPad.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iAntivirus installed on my iMac. Will this provide protection for my Ipad when I sync to Itunes? Although I am careful of where I go and what I click on, I would rather be safe.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Safari has never been a particularly secure browser, even on Macs, so I'm not surprised at this.

But I wonder if this vulnerability extends to Atomic Browser, too.

One of the disadvantages of increased market share is increased interest by the bad guys. I hope Apple responds in a timely manner to problems like this.

its not the browser that has the bug. it is the PDF reader in the iOS.
iBooks can also be attacked via PDF files.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Safari has never been a particularly secure browser, even on Macs, so I'm not surprised at this.

But I wonder if this vulnerability extends to Atomic Browser, too.

One of the disadvantages of increased market share is increased interest by the bad guys. I hope Apple responds in a timely manner to problems like this.

its not the browser that has the bug. it is the PDF reader in the iOS.
iBooks can also be attacked via PDF files.

Maybe Steve can blame it on Adobe :)

Most reactions

Latest posts