What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there any free version control systems for ipad2?

dreamyjade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the best way to access our(team) share folder which is in a linux server(samba) in our ipad2's. I am a noob at this kind of stuff and any help will be appreciated. I know I can probably use apps even though most apps seemed to be made for accessing data from a shared folder which is in Windows. Another problem is accessing this shared folder in ipad is not enough! I have to be able to edit and submit changes back to the shared folder in the sever. Is it even possible with Ipad2? Please comments ideas? (Ps: Or as the title says, is there any way I can use a version control system like mercurial in ipad2)?

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Easiest way would be to use a remote desktop app like mocha vnc, so you use the ipad to control a desktop machine, i use this method as not all files i need to edit etc have an app that can open/edit them

Hedgie - Mmm Cali Lewis!

OP
D

dreamyjade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much for these details guys! Remote desktop seems like a good idea

Also, I just found out that the version control doesn't have to be free. It can be paid too. So please let me know if there are any paid version control systems like Mercurial. :)

Reaction score
Splashtop in action .
I can do anything from my Ipad that I can do on the desktop with the mouse and keyboard. My finger becomes the mouse

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1306544450408.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1306544450408.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 414

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
GoodReader might also work, to some extent. It can be set up to access various servers including; FTP, SFTP, and WebDAV. Depending on the other apps involved files can be moved into and out of GoodReader using the Open In feature.

It would be awkward, but doable.

Most reactions

Latest posts