What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there an iPad genius in the house?

Ed62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a tough question. Our library has eBooks available to download. I downloaded an ePub book and a pdf book. I was able to download them to my computer (Windows), but I can't get them over to the iPad.

I'm using Adobe Digital Editions, and I can read them on the computer easily enough. The instructions tell me to open that software, connect the iPad to the computer, and the iPad will show up under "Bookcases". Then you can drag and drop the book onto the iPad. But the iPad will not show up under "Bookcases". Does anyone have a work around for me?

Thrashman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if it will help? But just yesterday I dragged an ePub file from the source folder directly onto the iPad in ITunes and I worked well

OP
E

Ed62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Where did your ePub file reside on the computer? Mine are in the iTunes folder.

Last edited:
OP
E

Ed62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought I tried that before, but I guess I didn't. :eek: Thanks for the tip. Worked like a charm for both books.

PatS

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use the overdrive app to download directly from the library to the iPad. Might see if your library facilitates this.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, with the Overdrive app, you can browse directly to your library's web site, look at books and/or check them out. After check out, you can download them directly to the iPad (no iTunes syncing required or needed).

As most libraries use the Overdrive system for their e-books, I have found this to be the most efficient way to use public library e-books (and I have six library accounts ... all of which I use with the Overdrive app).
Good luck.

Marilyn

PatS

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can download the checked out book to more than one device as well. I have overdrive app on my iPad and my iPod touch.

apple2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, with the Overdrive app, you can browse directly to your library's web site, look at books and/or check them out. After check out, you can download them directly to the iPad (no iTunes syncing required or needed).

As most libraries use the Overdrive system for their e-books, I have found this to be the most efficient way to use public library e-books (and I have six library accounts ... all of which I use with the Overdrive app).
Good luck.

Marilyn

Yep,overdrive app is convenient for us to read books and share books. You are able to have different accounts and check it out on different devices as well.
Please have a try then.
No external links!

Last edited by a moderator:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
BlueReader may be the app to use if your library uses the other ebook provider, Netlibrary.

Oops. Bluefire Reader. Sorry about that. I'm batting zero to night.

Last edited:

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Overdrive is good when you can get what you want. A few months back, there were slim pickings in my neck of the woods. The librarian, who had been given charge of putting together a small brochure on using Overdrive, told me that it was a work in progress and that the publishers were not really putting their hearts into it. Maybe things have improved since then.

Most reactions

Latest posts