What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a way to go from 4.2.1 to 4.3?

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 1 is jb and I have the 4.3 blobs but running 4.2.1. Can I do this without losing my jb and all my apps etc?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
pego99 said:
My iPad 1 is jb and I have the 4.3 blobs but running 4.2.1. Can I do this without losing my jb and all my apps etc?

Is there a reason why you don't want to upgrade all the way to iOS 5.1.1?

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, you'll have to follow the directions in the jailbreak (hacking) forum section to install the 4.3 iOS. When you do it is going to take away your jailbreak, so, you'll have to jailbreak again. Before I upgraded to 5.1.1 I took screen shots of all of my icons, especially the jailbreak ones, and a snapshot of the Settings app showing the section of the jailbreak tweaks. I copied those to my computer so I could reference them. Then I copied my Winterboard folder so I would still have the theme I put together. I have yet to find a utility that will save the data from certain jailbreak apps. You reinstall the app from cydia and the game saves or settings are no longer there. There may be an ap for that but I haven't found it.
I though long and hard about upgrading to 5.1.1. I went for it so I could upgrade two of my iTunes music apps. I don't have many cydia apps and tweaks, so it wasn't much of a bother. One of the groovy things about the purchased apps from cydia is they are registered that I purchased them. I didn't have to remember the paid for apps, nor pay for them again. I just re-downloaded them.
My iPad 1 is wifi only and 32gb.

OP
P

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a reason why you don't want to upgrade all the way to iOS 5.1.1?

I thought to go to 5.1.1 would involve having to install all my apps over again and the whole structure of the 64GB of stuff 75% is JB stuff. Am I wrong/

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
pego99 said:
I thought to go to 5.1.1 would involve having to install all my apps over again and the whole structure of the 64GB of stuff 75% is JB stuff. Am I wrong/

Once you've removed the jailbreak, you upgrade and the iTunes content is automatically re-installed on your iPad. You may have to re-install the apps and tweaks from Cydia separately, after you jailbreak on iOS 5.1.1.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
pego99 said:
How do I un-jailbreak 4.2.1 on ipad 1?

Once you've connected your iPad to iTunes on your computer, click on restore in iTunes. If there are no problems, you should end up with your iPad un jailbroken and running on iOS 5.1.1. You can then re-jailbreak. Once jailbroken, you can re-download your Cydia apps and tweaks.

OP
P

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought that I have to remove the JB before the restore in itunes. How do I remove the JB first? You say if there are no problems, what kind of problems are we talking about?

OP
P

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn thanks for the help but I have a few more questions about using snowbreeze. Ideally I would like to go from JB4.2.1 to JB5.1.1 on my ipad 1 if I can do this and still have all my screens, folders and apps remain the same is this possible?
Can snowbreeze do this via those instructions without having to remove the 4.2.1 jailbreak first (I don't know how to remove it).

OP
P

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I tried this and it didn't work. Itunes said there was a error and didn't restore. I was trying to go from 4.2.1 JB to 5.1.1 JB, maybe that's too much? Should I try 4.2.1 to 4.3.5? How do I deal with the blobs that I have and the fact that the ipad is jailbroken. Is that why the itunes error? Please help.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What error did you get, exactly?

It does not matter what blobs you have. For the iPad1, the most current software is iOS 5.1.1. If you follow the tutorial - backing up both App Store and Cydia apps, then putting your iPad in DFU mode to install iOS 5.1.1 (stock) - then you'll be able to re-jail break the iPad1 on iOS 5.1.1.

You cannot go from jail broken on one iOS to jail broken on another directly; you have to move from jail break iOS, to stock iOS, then jail break the new iOS.

Marilyn

OP
P

pego99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried to use the snowbreeze method which was linked from the article you linked to on page 1 of this thread. Snowbreeze says "Once the restore is complete iTunes will treat the iPad just like any other newly restored device, even though it is jailbroken..." Snowbreeze claims there method goes from JB to JB. It creates a special snowbreeze ipsw file that is JB and allows restoring in DFU mode. I followed the instuctions in creating the snowbreeze 5.1.1 ipsw file. Itunes did not give a error number it just said there was a error and it quit the restore. Anyway it didn't work with that method. What method should I use to go to 5.1.1 JB but have all my apps, screens and folders to survive.

Most reactions

Latest posts