What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it worth upgrading from iPad1 to iPad2

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gazzaho said:
I personally don't think it is. The iPad 1 does what I want, if I'd been aware the iPad 2 was imminent when I purchased my iPad 1 I would have held off buying. The amount of threads I've read on these forums about bleed through and other defects with the iPad 2 would make me think twice though.

There may be little/no trouble in replacing defective ones but the hassle of doing so would put me off. There aren't enough improvements with version 2 to warrant upgrading, perhaps the iPad 3 will tempt me if no other tablets at the time sway my decision.

I do agree with almost all of your comments however, it is worth noting that it is normal for a greater number of people to report defects or problems against people who have a product without problems......so you should naturally see more people complaining than those who are not. Saying that it would be interesting to know what the defect rate is on the iPad 2.

The Archangel

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I do agree with almost all of your comments however, it is worth noting that it is normal for a greater number of people to report defects or problems against people who have a product without problems......so you should naturally see more people complaining than those who are not. Saying that it would be interesting to know what the defect rate is on the iPad 2.

The Archangel

I agree that you only tend to hear of the problem machines, I myself would be interested in the defect rate. I can't help thinking though, that the defects may be related to the smaller compact size of the new iPad, have Apple tried a little too hard this time in order to miniaturise the product? I guess only time will tell.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gazzaho said:
I agree that you only tend to hear of the problem machines, I myself would be interested in the defect rate. I can't help thinking though, that the defects may be related to the smaller compact size of the new iPad, have Apple tried a little too hard this time in order to miniaturise the product? I guess only time will tell.

I would think not otherwise all iPads would be affected and let's face it, they have some considerable experience in making small stuff, have you seen that iPod nano, wow, that's an incredible piece of kit!

The Archangel

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I would think not otherwise all iPads would be affected and let's face it, they have some considerable experience in making small stuff, have you seen that iPod nano, wow, that's an incredible piece of kit!

The Archangel

Yeh I guess you're right, the nano is a dinky little device, the screen bleed through problem started me thinking along those lines, although the MacBook Air isn't that different in terms of size so I guess my logic is flawed!

ipad2iscool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Ipad 2 is much better than the ipad, it is much faster with it dual core a5 chip, it has much better 3D graphics chip, it has cellular radio, gyroscope which allows the ipad 2 to know which direction you rotating or moving it, it even knows how far or fast its going, it also has a new case to protect the screen which is attached by magnets. Yes all in all it’s a much better and improved in comparison.

littlebuddha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its your own opinion you like the ipad the ipad 2, you buy you don't, its that easy. And there will always be a few defects in stuff, someone does not do a job right. Has to be something good about them as they are selling enough of them. I wanted the new bits they added and found them worth getting a new one, i got twice the memory and it cost me 50 quid more than my first, good news for me.
And my point at the start was that whatever you buy, people are going to expect more than they get, your never going to get it as it is held back for the next model. You will land up when the ipad 3 comes out there will be people saying well it should have had this that and more, ill wait for the next. If you can justify to yourself then thats all that matters. Have a great time with which everone you guys have or like.

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to jailbreak forget about the iPad 2. I don't know if this has been mentioned.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hasty said:
The differences are subtle, but definitely there.
Faster, crisper, snappier and easier to hold and carry.
Also the screen seems better. Can't say why offhand but maybe it's the reduced glass thickness.

Very happy with the upgrade and my daughters very happy with their iPads1 :)

Thanks! thats the review im looking for. I guess ill be sticking to my pad for awhile if that's the case:)

iPads are like TV's. You start off with one that gets shared. Then before you know it someone just has to have their own. So we get another. Finally, everyone has their own. We don't share phones do we?

Look at the thread " How did I ever get along without my iPad".

Performance wise, iPad2 is much better ... this will show up in more demanding apps, like iMovie and Garageband. There are new higher performance Games that are being developed. iPad won't be able to play them as they don't have the graphics support. However, iPad is fine for e-mail, internet stuff, puzzles, even word processing, etc.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its your own opinion you like the ipad the ipad 2, you buy you don't, its that easy. And there will always be a few defects in stuff, someone does not do a job right. Has to be something good about them as they are selling enough of them. I wanted the new bits they added and found them worth getting a new one, i got twice the memory and it cost me 50 quid more than my first, good news for me.
And my point at the start was that whatever you buy, people are going to expect more than they get, your never going to get it as it is held back for the next model. You will land up when the ipad 3 comes out there will be people saying well it should have had this that and more, ill wait for the next. If you can justify to yourself then thats all that matters. Have a great time with which everone you guys have or like.
I don't think Apple is holding back for something to put in the next model. Here's why I think that way. Apple is in the process of developing cutting edge technology ... look at the combo GSM/CDMA special chip it takes time and effort, testing to do that. It just wasn't available til this fall. Apple is implementing Thunderbolt in all their desktop and high performance laptops, including AIR. They hold a patent on the concepts to put Thunderbolt in iPad via an adapter. Now they just have to add the controllers to make it all operate. And remember one thing, it is the software that makes Apple so much better. iOS5 is coming ... but it will be September. There are no other computers with Thunderbolt offered. Before you know it, Apple's will be transferring back and forth at warp speed, while the rest are still diddling along with USB2.0 ... OMG.

So it is all about working towards their master plan. Most of the competitors didn't even start til Apple had sold 15 million units in a market segment that didn't even exist. Now Apple is leading, and has a huge head start. So when you say they are holding back, it is only because it takes time to put out a finished product and full support. The competition is scrambling to play catchup with not ready for market offers. Look at Xoom, Galaxy, Playbook, etc. Enough, but you get the drift.

Last edited:

littlebuddha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think Apple is holding back for something to put in the next model. Here's why I think that way. Apple is in the process of developing cutting edge technology ... look at the combo GSM/CDMA special chip it takes time and effort, testing to do that. It just wasn't available til this fall. Apple is implementing Thunderbolt in all their desktop and high performance laptops, including AIR. They hold a patent on the concepts to put Thunderbolt in iPad via an adapter. Now they just have to add the controllers to make it all operate. And remember one thing, it is the software that makes Apple so much better. iOS5 is coming ... but it will be September. There are no other computers with Thunderbolt offered. Before you know it, Apple's will be transferring back and forth at warp speed, while the rest are still diddling along with USB2.0 ... OMG.

So it is all about working towards their master plan. Most of the competitors didn't even start til Apple had sold 15 million units in a market segment that didn't even exist. Now Apple is leading, and has a huge head start. So when you say they are holding back, it is only because it takes time to put out a finished product and full support. The competition is scrambling to play catchup with not ready for market offers. Look at Xoom, Galaxy, Playbook, etc. Enough, but you get the drift.

Try reading just what i said, whatever is brought out, there will be those that say it should have had this in it or that in it. And Apple will always hold certain things back to go into there next as they are working on the next all the time. You said it yourself (only holding back because of putting a finished product out) Im not knocking Apple, i have always bought there products, they are always quality build.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
littlebuddha said:
Try reading just what i said, whatever is brought out, there will be those that say it should have had this in it or that in it. And Apple will always hold certain things back to go into there next as they are working on the next all the time. You said it yourself (only holding back because of putting a finished product out) Im not knocking Apple, i have always bought there products, they are always quality build.

Apple own the Market. Nothing comes close...Galaxy HTC etc. Just not anywhere near. And we have the dual core CPU. I used to be a hard core gamer.... Good when hanging around studios waiting to my turn to track in bass or whatever. I think I will buy Dead Space, just to see if it's as good as the reviews say. Not going to fill this with games though :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

littlebuddha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
littlebuddha said:

Apple own the Market. Nothing comes close...Galaxy HTC etc. Just not anywhere near. And we have the dual core CPU. I used to be a hard core gamer.... Good when hanging around studios waiting to my turn to track in bass or whatever. I think I will buy Dead Space, just to see if it's as good as the reviews say. Not going to fill this with games though :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

IS THERE a point to quote my last message, if so i must have missed it.:confused:

Most reactions

Latest posts