What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it true that if you just purchased an Ipad, you must charge it first before using?

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
and somehow it becomes a habit to me to complete battery drain my android phones too once a month......i m not sure the effectiveness of it, perhaps same as to those who believe the 'burn-in headphones' principal too :eek:

theTimo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you run your battery flat and recharge it to full, it does nothing special to the battery. The batter charge indicator software gets recalibrated. That's all.
That's right, the indicator in the OS gets reset after each rom installation. And the OS needs first to 'sniff' the conditon of the battery to be able to give reliable information to the user. So that's why the OS needs to be told first what an empty battery 'looks like'.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's right, the indicator in the OS gets reset after each rom installation. And the OS needs first to 'sniff' the conditon of the battery to be able to give reliable information to the user. So that's why the OS needs to be told first what an empty battery 'looks like'.

Actually as the battery ages, it loses its ability to hold the same charge it did before. By running the battery completely flat and then charging it full, you recalibrate the battery charge indicator.

OP
UbuFamily

UbuFamily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually as the battery ages, it loses its ability to hold the same charge it did before. By running the battery completely flat and then charging it full, you recalibrate the battery charge indicator.

So what's the idea here? Is it better to drain it completely before charging it? Or charging it anytime regardless of battery's charges?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's better to top it off frequently. Easier on the battery. Does not negatively impact charge cycles.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Anyone got a link to information on the specific battery type on the iPad and how to handle this?
Seems like a lot of different opinions here...........nice to get a definitive answer.

OP
UbuFamily

UbuFamily

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the best way to know is to wait someone in this forum to start a thread with this title "my ipad battery spoilt or losing battery power quickly"

lol

pommie82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just put the battery indicator on see how much charge is in the ipad if there is over say 20% i just use it until its flat

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just put the battery indicator on see how much charge is in the ipad if there is over say 20% i just use it until its flat

i use battery indicator app called Battery HD+ free with ads for my ipad and android devices too, looks so simple and easy to understand :thumbs:

Most reactions

Latest posts