What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it safe to delete the DCIM folder?

Chaga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I use the camera kit on my iPad, and usually whenever travelling I import all photos from all my friends' cameras (and mine) to my iPad2.
During my last import some friends had their date setting all messed up on their cams, so the pictures imported where all messed up. After getting the photos on my PC, I manually fixed that issue, and pushed them back on my iPad with the good chronology.
I ended up having duplicates of photos in several folders, and it looks pretty ugly. Moreover all RAW imports are taking up about 25GB, and there is no way to batch delete these. Tried syncing iTunes to an empty folder to no avail.
What I need to do, is delete every single photo from my iPad (RAW and non-RAW) and sync it back again with all my organised photos from my PC (Without the RAWs).
So was wondering, is it safe for me to open the iPad folder from My Computer and manually delete the DCIM folder?

Thanks.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I wouldn't do it that way.

in iTunes go to the sync settings for your iPad and turn off the photo syncing. or tell it to sync only selected items and just don't select any photos. Then when you sync the iPad all the pictures will be removed from the iPad.

OP
C

Chaga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it that way.

in iTunes go to the sync settings for your iPad and turn off the photo syncing. or tell it to sync only selected items and just don't select any photos. Then when you sync the iPad all the pictures will be removed from the iPad.

I already tried that (syncing to an empty folder), and it did not remove any of the photos I imported using the camera kit (which are my main issue with 25GB).

OP
C

Chaga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No one ever tried deleting this folder before?
As I know most apps and devices automatically recreate it.

Most reactions

Latest posts