What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to send GSM commands to Ipad (1) modem without jailbreak?

pb3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Forum,

I strongly suspect the answer to my question is NO, but nothing ventured nothing gained :)

I'm toying with giving my mother, who is spending her retirement in sunny Caribbean island my spare IPAD 1 3g + Wifi for ad-hoc access to the Internet. She does not have a land-line.

Rather than buy an expensive local mobile phone contract I am toying with buying a local pay as you go SIM and cuting it down to microsim size using my trusty microsim cutter.

How things work is that you top up the SIM and then purchase a 30 day Internet data package (by entering a GSM code) on the mobile phone into which the SIM is placed. At the end of the 30 days you can renew the package, providing you have sufficient credit, by typing in a another GSM code.

And herein would lie the problem! As the cut down microsim would be in the Ipad, I fear my mother won't be up to the monthly ultra fiddly ordeal of removing the microsim, placing it into a converter, putting this into her mobile phone, entering the GSM code and then repeating the process in reverse. :eek:

Ideally it would be nice if it were possible to send the GSM code directly to the Ipad's modem.

Is this possible?

If I'm onto a non-starter please put me out of my misery!

Most reactions

Latest posts