What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it just me or does IPAD2 camera really stink?

MadDragon1846

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think the cameras are too bad. if I wanted to take photos to stick in an album, then it can't compare to a "proper" camera. But it's fine for the average photo you'd save to your phone, or iPad.

The thing I think lets it down is the cameras software... Pictures taken outside or in a well lit room from natural light is fine. But come the evening, indoors with the lights on, wow, talk about yellow tinted pics!

From a bit of reading, it seems that it's caused by the "White balance", which ends up making the pictures too "warm" coloured. Surely they could of fixed that with a software update?, that problem is on the iPod touch 4th gen and iPhone, and they still haven't bothered fixing it? =/

Sent from my iPod touch using iPF

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MadDragon1846 said:
I don't think the cameras are too bad. if I wanted to take photos to stick in an album, then it can't compare to a "proper" camera. But it's fine for the average photo you'd save to your phone, or iPad.

The thing I think lets it down is the cameras software... Pictures taken outside or in a well lit room from natural light is fine. But come the evening, indoors with the lights on, wow, talk about yellow tinted pics!

From a bit of reading, it seems that it's caused by the "White balance", which ends up making the pictures too "warm" coloured. Surely they could of fixed that with a software update?, that problem is on the iPod touch 4th gen and iPhone, and they still haven't bothered fixing it? =/

Sent from my iPod touch using iPF

One can hope Apple provides some software improvements for the camera(s) in a future update. I'm just happy there's a rear-facing camera at all on the thing. It'll come in handy for those moments when I have nothing else with me.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Martinm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still pictures are a deferent for stinking, and video I cannot say is too good either, however in good light conditions it can take decent video (as I tested at my regatta today, the video was "HD" but not really.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJP1984

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i am sure the reason - apple inc. think tank group or common sense engineering for make cheap model so they can buy it it still usefully.

people will use hd front for video most time that take pic it as it bit over-size for take any picture daily. i rather take photo shot on iphone that put bluetooth to ipad and you edit it not problem..

ipad front camera, you want nice pic of yourself - meh! you rather use it for video call that pose front pic with big size ipad. if you want pic yourself - simple use iphone 3gs/4 whatever you has iphone model that bluetooth to ipad.
so they can make thin and cheaper camera so you can happy with it....

if good video in video call it is great enough better than no camera on ipad 1..

also in future if you want better cam and increase 512mb to 1gb so you wait for ipad3... for now which you rather ipad 1 or ipad 2? or other tablet rival ie. xoom of course! it is ipad2 so apple can make money and profit it is strategy stuff....

what if -
apple will say i have new ipad 3 1gb ram and quad a6 chip, 2mp + 720 hd front camera and 5mp + 1080hd in rear camera, 4g. 7" or 9.7" whatever size, screen OLED + 3D! ((WOW FACTOR))
you will rush buy it anyway you will throw ipad two (ipad2) for ipad three (ipad3). apple inc will profit this how money make profit.

i buy it and i wont complait about camera. as apple ipad 2 will better in other tablet rival - because "APPS" way ahead better than other rival... and cheaper, best tablet on the market.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trouble is the iPad is so thin there's no space for proper lenses.
You guys are expecting too much for basic cameras designed solely for FaceTime video.
The front cam for example is the same VGA as standard webcams.

That said I've read the best way to maximise the quality of a single frame is to use an app and save it from a video clip.

Samsung Galaxy 10.1 is thinner and will ship with a 3MP camera vs the .7 megapixel from the ipad2.

Apple did not use a crappy camera because the ipad2 was too thin. That is their excuse because they don't want to admit the real reason. The iPad2 has a crappy camera and no flash so that Apple could hit the price points that the iPad set. Apple wasn't going to skimp on the screen, the SoC or the speakers, as those are what people interact with and notice most. The rest is on the cutting block. The reason they used really pretty awful cameras especially due to the competition, is because they know that its more important to hit a price point with a crappy camera than raise the price by even $5-10 to include a higher end camera.

Last edited:

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Thphilli said:
Samsung Galaxy 10.1 is thinner and will ship with a 3MP camera vs the .7 megapixel from the ipad2.

Apple did not use a crappy camera because the ipad2 was too thin. That is their excuse because they don't want to admit the real reason. The iPad2 has a crappy camera and no flash so that Apple could hit the price points that the iPad set. Apple wasn't going to skimp on the screen, the SoC or the speakers, as those are what people interact with and notice most. The rest is on the cutting block. The reason they used really pretty awful cameras especially due to the competition, is because they know that its more important to hit a price point with a crappy camera than raise the price by even $5-10.

Galaxy Tab is still running a crap os

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thphilli said:

Apple did not use a crappy camera because the ipad2 was too thin. That is their excuse because they don't want to admit the real reason. The iPad2 has a crappy camera and no flash so that Apple could hit the price points that the iPad set. Apple wasn't going to skimp on the screen, the SoC or the speakers, as those are what people interact with and notice most. The rest is on the cutting block. The reason they used really pretty awful cameras especially due to the competition, is because they know that its more important to hit a price point with a crappy camera than raise the price by even $5-10 to include a higher end camera.

I agree with this assessment. I think it's fairly reasonable to assume that's what happened. We see this kind of stuff in the tech industry all the time.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

iPad Crazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not just you...it kind of stinks. Beats the alternative of not having one, albeit not much. apple always keeps you coming back for more.

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recorded some video from the ipad on a road trip and I'm working on putting it together with imovie. so far it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Everything looks good on the ipad screen, I just haven't exported it yet. I ran out of room on my iphone 4 (completely filled it up, can't even upgrade apps lol) so I gave the ipad cam a shot.

Torria

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I disagree I would have been willing to spend more for the upgrade and I'm sure lots of other people in this forum would have too. Actually I was expecting a increase. However I believe that Apple will improve on these things in the next generation and then he will market it heavily at he next keynote. I think all the tablets on the market offer one thing or the other that the competition is lacking in one way or the other. With the iPad it's the camera no USB no flash ...xoom has anticipated flash limited app and open to virus. Need I go on...... But overall they will all preform basic functions of daily life. Email, web surfing, movies. It's just like buying a car you can get a Bentley, BMW , Toyota or Kia. They will all take you where you want to go it's just a matter of what creature comforts are important to you.

Lifet1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh cmon guys, who really cares about a damn camera on a Tablet?

When do you make Photos? When u come around. I bet there not very much people taking the Ipad with them during a day outdoors with their family.

The Mobile Phone Camera is always a better option then.

I also think that Apple only includes the camera cause they had to, its just like multitasking, everyone yells for it, and how much really have a use of it?

I dont need the cameras at all, i also never needed multitasking. Multitasking jus keep me busy closing apps to keep battery life longer, nothing more, wish theres an option to switch of multitasking, its BS.

Camera will be useful once humantiy decides that Videophoning is a must have, but that never happend in the last 7 years, and even if it would be a hot thing for mobile phones first, so theres time for the talets waiting for the next gen.

It was the best idea of apple to hold cameras as cheap as possible, so the price of the device can be held low.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've seen shots and vids with the ipad2 cam. It is no where nearly as bad as people making them out to be. Better thn no cam at all. Imagine if ipad2 came with no cams. Then people would really be griping to just even have a bare minimal cam. That's what photediting apps are for. The shots can be cleaned up. I have a whole arsenal of editing apps and they work wonders on my pics shot with my phone. My phone has a 3megapicpxel cam but I have the setting on 1mp. As it allows a lot more pics and doesn't take up as much room per pic. Higher quality pix are gonna be larger files in general. I do plan on switching to the max to compare the difference in quality. Having a higher megapixel count doesn't automatically equate to u taking better pix. It's better to have at least some type of cam thn none at all. Just saying ;-)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Swede1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
I've seen shots and vids with the ipad2 cam. It is no where nearly as bad as people making them out to be. Better thn no cam at all. Imagine if ipad2 came with no cams. Then people would really be griping to just even have a bare minimal cam. That's what photediting apps are for. The shots can be cleaned up. I have a whole arsenal of editing apps and they work wonders on my pics shot with my phone. My phone has a 3megapicpxel cam but I have the setting on 1mp. As it allows a lot more pics and doesn't take up as much room per pic. Higher quality pix are gonna be larger files in general. I do plan on switching to the max to compare the difference in quality. Having a higher megapixel count doesn't automatically equate to u taking better pix. It's better to have at least some type of cam thn none at all. Just saying ;-)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Wow,, you sure dont have High standards when it comes to picture quality,,:) you say you have a 3mp camera and it's set to 1mp? why on earth would you do that ? Memory cards these days are so cheap so there is no reason to skimp on that,, and no photo editing software in the world can make a 1mp picture look as good as for example as a picture taken with a 12mp camera.

And yes, the pictures taken with the ipad2"s camera IS bad,,:)

Just saying,, :)

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The POINT is: having a camera on the iPad, no matter what quality it is, is better than having NO camera on the iPad at all. For that, I'm grateful. It WILL come in handy at one time or another. Photographic art is NOT limited to how many megapixels, etc. your camera is capable of. It depends mostly upon your creativity, imagination, use of lighting and a little bit of luck. Some of the best photographs in the world were shot on crappier cameras. Besides, as a utility camera, it'll do just fine.

Being a little disappointed that Apple didn't put a better camera in the iPad 2 is understandable. But it is what it is. They had their reasons. You either deal with it and use it however you can or you don't and pretend it's not even there. So WHAT if it's awkward and unwieldy to use as a camera? Maybe someone WILL hold it up and use it as a camera a lot, or maybe once in a while when the moment requires it. Who cares? Just because you think it's goofy doesn't mean it is for everyone else. People had the same gripe when cell phones started coming equipped with cameras: "Who wants to hold that clunky thing up and use it as a camera all the time? It's just stupid," Heck, my first cell phone came in a big book-sized BAG with a fold-out antenna and a separate handset connected to the transceiver and battery by coiled cord. It didn't even have a contact manager, let alone a camera. In fact, before that time, I spent much of my earlier life in a world where cell phones as we know it didn't even EXIST-(try walking a few miles to the nearest pay phone to feed it a dime or a quarter to place a call for a tow!). I was happy to get a phone with a rudimentary camera, even at a time when people bitched that it didn't get the kind of resolution a "real" camera would provide. Today, nobody bats an eyelash about using cell phone cameras, even if they aren't nearly as good as a regular camera. You can't always get what you want but you can always be grateful for what you get.

Complaining about the rear-facing camera vociferously as if it were a point of the iPad 2's failure is melodramatic and serves no purpose other than to show a propensity for discontent, even in mitigating circumstances.

Last edited:

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thphilli said:

Apple did not use a crappy camera because the ipad2 was too thin. That is their excuse because they don't want to admit the real reason. The iPad2 has a crappy camera and no flash so that Apple could hit the price points that the iPad set. Apple wasn't going to skimp on the screen, the SoC or the speakers, as those are what people interact with and notice most. The rest is on the cutting block. The reason they used really pretty awful cameras especially due to the competition, is because they know that its more important to hit a price point with a crappy camera than raise the price by even $5-10.

Galaxy Tab is still running a crap os

Honeycomb is a crap os?? See, this is why I call you out for trolling whenever you mention android freebird.

Most reactions

Latest posts