What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is iPad Air 1 still a good buy for basic movie editing and Garageband

DocMidnyte

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm on a tight budget. I will be traveling a lot to visit my fiancee and thought I might get a tablet for writing, playing virtual instruments and doing some video making...all for our wedding next year. I'm used to working with my hands so the idea of editing touching a screen really appeals to me. What little I did in the store felt great. I wondered, could I still get away with an iPad Air 1 for this task? I will probably never push the device far, but also, don't want to waste the money on something that will be DOA shortly or too slow for the job.

Thoughts?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure others will chime in with much more up to date info than I can supply, but looking at the differences between the Air 1 and Air 2, I suspect you'll be fine. There is only one processor generation between the one you are looking at and the current model.

I just had a look at the refurbished offerings in the Apple Store and there are quite a few to choose from, with some reasonable savings. I'd suggest going with a cellular model, mainly because you also get GPS, which I've found invaluable. You may decide you don't need it and can make a saving there. I'd also try to stretch the budget for the largest storage size you can. There's no such thing as too much storage. Too little is a very real problem.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm on a tight budget. I will be traveling a lot to visit my fiancee and thought I might get a tablet for writing, playing virtual instruments and doing some video making...all for our wedding next year......with an iPad Air 1 for this task? I will probably never push the device far, but also, don't want to waste the money on something that will be DOA shortly or too slow for the job.

Hello - Kevin has already given you some great advice - the iPad Air is still a capable iDevice and will be able to accept the iOS 10 upgrade this fall (see chart below) - there is a 5 MP back camera, if you plan to take images - also, do not buy one w/ 16 GB - go to the next level (or more as needed and fits your budget) - whether you need just Wi-Fi or also Cellular/GPS is a decision for you.

NOW, what you have not clearly told us are the main objectives you plan to use an iPad for relative to your upcoming wedding? Are you planning to take pics w/ this device - if so, the camera is OK but not likely an ideal choice; do you want to make 'movies' of the wedding w/ an iPad? Do you want to combine music w/ those images/movies? These are questions that may help us provide more specific advice. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 10.29.04 PM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello - Kevin has already given you some great advice - the iPad Air is still a capable iDevice and will be able to accept the iOS 10 upgrade this fall (see chart below) - there is a 5 MP back camera, if you plan to take images - also, do not buy one w/ 16 GB - go to the next level (or more as needed and fits your budget) - whether you need just Wi-Fi or also Cellular/GPS is a decision for you.

NOW, what you have not clearly told us are the main objectives you plan to use an iPad for relative to your upcoming wedding? Are you planning to take pics w/ this device - if so, the camera is OK but not likely an ideal choice; do you want to make 'movies' of the wedding w/ an iPad? Do you want to combine music w/ those images/movies? These are questions that may help us provide more specific advice. Dave :)
View attachment 73624
The iPad 2 and the original iPad mini will not receive the iOS 10 update. The chart in your post was likely based on the original rumours of which devices would be compatible with iOS 10.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad 2 and the original iPad mini will not receive the iOS 10 update. The chart in your post was likely based on the original rumours of which devices would be compatible with iOS 10.

Thanks for your comments - the list is from HERE - and I only looked for compatibility of the iPad Air and 'missed' the other potential devices not compatible - funny that I actually posted in another thread that the iPad 2 would not be upgradeable to iOS 10 - thanks for the clarification. Dave :)

OP
D

DocMidnyte

iPF Noob
Reaction score

View attachment 73624

Thank you everyone for your input. And yes, I was very vague about what the heck I am doing, so I will explain:

My fiancee and I plan on shooting some ( hopefully) comedic videos of ourselves to post on a youtube page for the wedding, joking about our respective hometowns, etc. I plan on shooting with my Kodak Zi8 and then editing the footage on iMovie on the tablet. Think of the digital shorts on SNL. They will be short and hopefully tastefully shot with a lavalier mic on the camera, with some simple effects, background music, occasional cutting for angles. That's the extent of it. I don't intend to use the camera on the Air for anything I don't think, unless I can get away with some shots in very controlled environments.

I will also want to use Pages and Keynote for putting together a presentation I will hopefully be doing in April, but form the sounds of things I will be fine with that.

Thanks again for your input.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's also the iPad 3 that won't receive iOS 10.

Most reactions

Latest posts