What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Apple disabling updates on jailbroken Devices?

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am jailbroken on 7.0.4. The App store claims that I have 11 apps that need to be updated, however, the "update all" button is greyed out. I I manually click on "UPDATE," to the right of an app, instead of updating, the app opens.

I tried hard resetting, (Home and Power buttons simultaneously) but this doesn't help.

Is Apple disabling updates on jailbroken Devices? I was always worried that one day they would send some kind of OTA sandbox test and send a "bullet" killing all jailbroken devices.

Some contributors to this thread believe so:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1684397

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I got the impression that the problem was iOS related, not jailbreak related.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Modern jailbreaks come with "anti-OTA" missile launchers that shoots down OTAs as they attempt to enter your phone. Apparently it's got pretty decent aim with laser guiding too.

On a serious note, starting from I believe Evasi0n6, developers are incorporating OTA blocks into the jailbreak to prevent accidental OTAs. It would either block the host, or just tell the OS "You're up to date already" so that OTAs aren't fetched.

As for apps, as Scifan already mentioned, it's leaning towards iOS. Apple technically "doesn't" have a way to find out whether your device is jailbroken or not since they don't incorporate the checks in the default OS. Apps can find certain items in your fs to see if you're jailbroken (i.e. some banking apps), but they can't flip the kill switch to nuke your device.

OP
D

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can go ahead and delete the apps in question, then install the app with the latest update. Other than this, is there a cure? I am fine with the older versions of the apps for now.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It would depend on the origin of the problem. I've personally never experienced said issue on 7.0.X on any of my devices. Then again, I never have issues with my devices that are often brought up on our forums though I hear of them a lot. I believe there was an attempt to patch the issue, but it fell through because it was not a consistent solution. Probably because the issue was sourcing from multiple regions of iOS.

nickb67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
its happening to lots, there are walk arounds, but the easiest way is to download and update via itunes .... pain in the backside though.

OP
D

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Thanks - This post helped me. I used this method:

I have found that on my iPad the above mentioned process basically works with a small twist added.
-I look and make note of which apps need to be updated.
-then tap on "purchased" tab
-then on top right corner I change how the apps are displayed to "Name" that puts everything in alphabetical order. I find it easier this way.
-then when I find the app tap on the icon for the app. Not the update or open button.
-Once there you will be in the details page for that app. Tap on the update or open button (which ever one appears)

This does in fact download the updated version. I checked the version number before and after.

What an incredible pain in the ...
I am jailbroken so must wait for a jailbreak release on iOS 8 before I update my OS.

Most reactions