What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is 16gb enough?

nicled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I plan to get the ipad.

Sorry, but this time I have to say I think that while the price for the IPad I is attractive, it's the IPad 2 that's made it the must have for all the tech junkies out there that really want to compute anywhere on the go. The difference between the two machines is simply astounding. I'd hold back and wait till I can afford the IPad 2. This is one time I think you'll be glad you did go with the much faster machine that really does do so much more, so much better than the first generation. CNET call the IPad I the great toy for people who like to look great in while enjoying overpriced coffee in chic curbside establishments where you want everyone to see you. The IPad II is simply a wonderful device that just keeps proving it's worth day after day no matter where or what you need it for. The IPad II is the choice I'd recommend. This is a device that will change the way you compute forever I assure you.

Thanks man!

daltonbaker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ipadconverter-mac.com
I personnally Considering iPad Wi-Fi 16Gb isn't large enough.Throw a bunch of HQ movies on there, a decent music collection, plus photos and apps, and you're full. Esp for travel (unless you also plan to take a computer), you're better off spending and extra $100 for 32GB, Usable space on the 64 is really about 60GB. Note there are some HD apps that are in the hundreds of megs.

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It would depend entirely on what type of user you are. I have about 5 films, about 10 Simpsons episodes, 3 games and about 5 apps and already the 16gb is full. I personally think Apple is being a bit stingy with storage and the base model should be 32 gb at the price point of the current 16gb model.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a 16 GB WiFi with lots of Apps installed. It still has lots of room for photos and I use a portable WiFi hotspot when I need to.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
16GB has been fine for us so far, same size for our iPhones.

I really don't understand some peoples requirement to have every song\video they own with them at all times. Unless you travel excessively, and don't have access to your computer for a week at a time.

If you are on the same network as your computer, you can use Air Video...stream any video on your computer to your iPad and live convert on the fly. If you have WiFi or 3G access, you can access media stored on Dropbox (2GB) or Box.net (50GB)

Everyone signed up for the FREE 50GB of storage offer Box.net just had for iOS devices, right? (100mb file size limits)

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As others have eluded to, if you use a little common sense and do some regular housekeeping on the device, you shouldnt run out of memory. I see no reason to store multiple movies/videos. Just stream them with netflix/Hulu/whatever and there is no space used. You can keep a lot of songs on the unit before worrying about space. I personally went with the 32GB unit but a 16GB model probably would have worked out fine.

I think the 32GB is the best of both worlds - its a $100++ bucks cheaper than the 64GB but it has double the space of the 16GB miodel.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am constantly getting these things for my Wife and I, so always buying in 2's....I would have gotten the 32gb one if it was just me. But 1100$ worth of iPad's is cheaper than 1300$ :)

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are always a few movies/TV programmes (all-time personal favourites) that some people will want to store on the iPad itself, likewise with games. The iPad library looks good if it contains a few titles. Some people watch their all-time favourites several times a year, so rather than renting it each time from the likes of Netflix, why not buy and store it? However, I think people should just use something like AirVideo if they have a very extensive library of films/shows and only keep ones they will most like to watch in the near future, in which case 16gb will probably suffice.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't forget Crackle. A few decent movies there as well.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
If you've got the budget and you're a storage hound, go BIG. I did with no regrets.
AA

The conventional wisdom in computing devices has always been "Bigger is better."

I'm not sure why things appear to have changed; witness the number of threads where people have asked if it's possible to hook up an external HDD. Apple products historically have a longer life than other computing devices, and the likelihood is that users will collect a huge number of apps, store large amounts of music etc over the lifetime of the product. I could see it being very easy to run out of storage, even on the larger models.

I'm stuck with 16Gb on the iPad, but come phone renewal time, I'll be getting the biggest 4S I can lay my hands on, while also keeping my iPhone 4 as an mp3 player. 64+16+16 should be adequate for a while.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The conventional wisdom in computing devices has always been "Bigger is better."

I'm not sure why things appear to have changed; witness the number of threads where people have asked if it's possible to hook up an external HDD. Apple products historically have a longer life than other computing devices, and the likelihood is that users will collect a huge number of apps, store large amounts of music etc over the lifetime of the product. I could see it being very easy to run out of storage, even on the larger models.

I'm stuck with 16Gb on the iPad, but come phone renewal time, I'll be getting the biggest 4S I can lay my hands on, while also keeping my iPhone 4 as an mp3 player. 64+16+16 should be adequate for a while.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Well, part of the change is that tablets, specifically the iPad are not conventional at all! With all of the different "offline" storage systems available and the fact that you can do some of your own housekeeping to keep plenty of room on your iPad. Its not like regular PCs where 75 GB of RAM and 1,000 Terabyte hard drives are required just to install Microsoft Office :D.

IMO, there is no reason to spend an extra $200 or more dollars just to get the biggest iPad you can get. If the 16 GB or 32 GB does it for you then get it and dont worry about it. If the price difference was trivial then thats one thing but a few hundred bucks is a few hundred bucks. You can get lots of apps for $200 bucks! As others have pointed out - you dont need all 4500 of your songs on the device at once...do ya?

Last edited:

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's certainly enough for me. I have many GB free. I have well over 100 apps, probably closer to 150. I only put a movie or two on my iPad at a time- I add and remove them as needed (they're all backed up on an external hard drive). I also do that with iBooks, though those really don't take up that much space individually. I don't have music on it because I have the 160GB classic.

I personally think the 16GB iPhone isn't going to be enough space because of how much I'll use the video camera and the pictures. But it's a Christmas present and my parents "refuse" to pay the extra $100 for the 32 (nor can I chip in $100 of my own for it).

It depends on what you use with it and if you're willing to take movies/TV shows on and off when needed or if you want your iPad to store everything at once. The 16 works just fine for me. It was all I could afford but I'm perfectly content with it.

iLloyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I regret getting my 16gb iPad 1. Really wish i had got the 32gb or even 64gb. As i download alot of movies and large memory games I find myself constantly backing the files up on my computer.. I was going to upgrade but im just going to made do with wht I have at the moment and wait outside an apple store overnight for the release of the iPad 3 64gb or even higher fingers crossed :)

Most reactions

Latest posts