What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is 16gb enough?

shorty106

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ultrimate, how does the bluetooth flash memory adapters work? Can you download from iPad to flashdrive?

Kendo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 64gig one. Haven't came anywhere near using even half of it's memory and I download movies and books like they are going out of fashion. I'm thinking ahead and hoping that the extra memory comes in handy in the future.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The best answer is: it depends totally on the individual. It more than suits my needs. I don't store videos and movies on it. I do have 142 apps on it and about 25 books. I also have a bunch of PDFs on it. I have 127 photos on it and 108 songs. I have 10.8 GB available at this time. Clearly 16GB is enough for me and is the one I have. On my 16GB iPhone, I have 135 apps, 108 songs, 26 videos (very short clips of things I took), 425 photos and 135 apps. Available: 10.0GB. So even with short video clips and 4 times the amount of photos, hardly any difference, and still plenty of room. Pretty consistent there.

Mossi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're definitely buying the new model and it comes out really soon......16g may do for now. You won't be able to store many songs or pics and you can't get many apps. I'd go straight for the big boys...64 g. I've had my 64 g for 4 months and it's 3/4 full. As you can see, I like excess better than I like to scrimp.

nicled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I plan to get the ipad. There are two options: The 1st gen, 32 Gb, 3G or the Ipad 2, 16 Gb, wifi. Price for both are almost the the same.

The biggest argument against the 16 Gb is space. I have the Iphone 3Gs and have used 3.8 Gb of space since i got the phone one year ago.

I will use the ipad purposely when i travel. I bring the Asus EEPC netbook. Its light but with the power supply, etc., it becomes heavy. I bring two cams, lenses, etc., with the netbook. I was thinking the ipad will lighten my load. I use the netbook to check mail & surf the net. Not for editing (photo's) but with some occasional blogs of my trip.

My question is: Are applications for the Ipad bigger in memory than the Iphone? If they are the same, then i wouldn't have to worry about memory.

The consideration for the 1st gen Ipad is the 32 Gb memory and not the 3G because my iphone has 3G anyway.

The ipad 2 is lighter, faster, with face time, etc.

What do you think?

Destroyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
depends your purpose with the ipad, plus if you are a music junkie not 16 GB is not enough or for movies.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

nicled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, i'm not an audio & video junkie. As mentioned, i've used 3.8 Gb of my iphone 3GS, 16gb memory.

If the app's have the same memory then the ipad2 16 gb will be ok for my needs.

Destroyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
glad you got your pick, now get it and enjoy this thing called ipad

Sent from my iPad using iPF

JSmooth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16GB iPad 2 and from what u explained I think it would perfect u!!!

nicled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! Now, i have to wait for the ipad2 16gb. Believe it or not, there are more buyers than sellers here in Asia. We have to wait 2-4 weeks until we get our units from Apple Asia.

But i guess it would be worth the wait :)

Jessicaem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a WiFi 16GB iPad, Because I already have a 160GB iPod for the extra storage capacity. and I just use it to surf the web and store some photos, a few movies, and maybe some songs. so it depends your need.;)

bobinmo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends on how you use your IPad

Hi everyone. I have also taken the plunge and ordered an ipad in the 16gb wifi flavor but I have seen that alot of you have ordered the 32gb and some have the 64gb on the way. Is the 16gb going to be enough to do for now and maybe pass this one along, or should I spend the extra $100.00 and get the 32gb? I was thinking that the 16 would get me through until there was an upgrade or change in the system.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

With more and more of our computing using the cloud, 16GB can be enough but I'd still consider the 32GB as the minimum. You'd love having the extra space for storing things when you're not hooked to the cloud. I personally think the 64GB is just steep enough in price to make that one a bad value but that's my thinking and my budget. I'd care more about the 3G option than the added memory when you're trying to figure out which combo to go with. The problem with these wonderful little devices is they sort of nickle and dime us to death. There's added plugs and holders and keyboards and covers and well the money keeps flowing out. That's where I'm finding it hard to use control. Then there's the added software and other things on ITunes we can't hold back from picking up here and there. We all have to admit this is a luxury, not a necessity. Gee I love luxuries don't you?

bobinmo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I respect your opinion but,,,,,

I plan to get the ipad. There are two options: The 1st gen, 32 Gb, 3G or the Ipad 2, 16 Gb, wifi. Price for both are almost the the same.

The biggest argument against the 16 Gb is space. I have the Iphone 3Gs and have used 3.8 Gb of space since i got the phone one year ago.

I will use the ipad purposely when i travel. I bring the Asus EEPC netbook. Its light but with the power supply, etc., it becomes heavy. I bring two cams, lenses, etc., with the netbook. I was thinking the ipad will lighten my load. I use the netbook to check mail & surf the net. Not for editing (photo's) but with some occasional blogs of my trip.

My question is: Are applications for the Ipad bigger in memory than the Iphone? If they are the same, then i wouldn't have to worry about memory.

The consideration for the 1st gen Ipad is the 32 Gb memory and not the 3G because my iphone has 3G anyway.

The ipad 2 is lighter, faster, with face time, etc.

What do you think?

Sorry, but this time I have to say I think that while the price for the IPad I is attractive, it's the IPad 2 that's made it the must have for all the tech junkies out there that really want to compute anywhere on the go. The difference between the two machines is simply astounding. I'd hold back and wait till I can afford the IPad 2. This is one time I think you'll be glad you did go with the much faster machine that really does do so much more, so much better than the first generation. CNET call the IPad I the great toy for people who like to look great in while enjoying overpriced coffee in chic curbside establishments where you want everyone to see you. The IPad II is simply a wonderful device that just keeps proving it's worth day after day no matter where or what you need it for. The IPad II is the choice I'd recommend. This is a device that will change the way you compute forever I assure you.

Most reactions

Latest posts