What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPhone as a Hotspot?

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think this is probably discussed at length somewhere on this forum, but I can't seem to find the "intro level" discussion!

I am just buying my first iPhone, though I have had my wifi only iPad 1 since day 1. My question: how do I set up the phone and iPad so that I can connect to the internet from my iPad using the iPhone as a personal hotspot?

Does it depend on the carrier, in my case AT&T?

If you can answer my question or point me to the appropriate threads, I would appreciate it greatly‘

Thans.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you basically get the carrier to include their tethering option on your contract (assuming you don't have it). Once activated you will see a new option in the iPhone Settings App called "Personal Hotspot". When turned ON, you are then able to connect the iPad to your phone and share it's internet connection via WiFi or Bluetooth (bluetooth tends to use less battery). You can also connect other devices to your phone, e.g. a Laptop, and this can additionally be done via the USB cable (as well as wifi or bluetooth).

You don't need anything extra on the iPad.

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Yes, you basically get the carrier to include their tethering option on your contract (assuming you don't have it). Once activated you will see a new option in the iPhone Settings App called "Personal Hotspot". When turned ON, you are then able to connect the iPad to your phone and share it's internet connection via WiFi or Bluetooth (bluetooth tends to use less battery). You can also connect other devices to your phone, e.g. a Laptop, and this can additionally be done via the USB cable (as well as wifi or bluetooth).

You don't need anything extra on the iPad.

Thanks for the response. Just the info I needed!

Most reactions

Latest posts