What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad's Amazon Kindle Available

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ipad-kindle-app.jpg

Apple has just approved the update to Amazon's Kindle App in the nick of time for the iPad launch. The Kindle app is optimized for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, providing users the ability to read Kindle books using a beautiful, easy-to-use interface. You can discover and read over 450,000 books in the Kindle Store, including the latest best sellers and new releases. You can also read your Kindle books on your Mac, PC, BlackBerry, Kindle, and Kindle DX. Amazon Whispersync automatically syncs your last page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights across all of your devices, so you can pick up right where you left off no matter what device you are reading on.

For more information, visit: Kindle for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

[Source: Macrumors.com]

Mac Hoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like Amazons Kindle hardware will die pretty soon.

iSoozin60

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like Amazons Kindle hardware will die pretty soon.

I don't know about that. I have the Kindle and it is so easy to read outside in bright sunlight. I'm waiting to see how it is to read on the iPad tomorrow. If it's anything like the iPod Touch, I'll be using the Kindle outside!!!! :)

Susan

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From several of the early reviewers it sounds like this display handles the bright light outside very well and they didn't have problems reading it outside. *I* am more concerned about being able to read a book in bed at night with the lights turned out (and not having to use an external light) so I don't disturb my wife. I think the iPad will work swimmingly in that scenario. I see the Kindle maybe holding on to a small market share for those who have poor or sensitive eyes... but I see the iPad taking over the lion's share of the e-reader market especially since you'll have three major e-book market places all on one device!

Many people who already own a kindle will justify the continued use... but I see new sales more than likely declining.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More choices is always better and kudos to apple for allowing the kindle app on the ipad. I like amazon alot and buy all my music from them so now I can get books as well. Well, not for another month but I can live vicariously through all you wifi people.

iSoozin60

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From several of the early reviewers it sounds like this display handles the bright light outside very well and they didn't have problems reading it outside. *I* am more concerned about being able to read a book in bed at night with the lights turned out (and not having to use an external light) so I don't disturb my wife. I think the iPad will work swimmingly in that scenario. I see the Kindle maybe holding on to a small market share for those who have poor or sensitive eyes... but I see the iPad taking over the lion's share of the e-reader market especially since you'll have three major e-book market places all on one device!

Many people who already own a kindle will justify the continued use... but I see new sales more than likely declining.

I keep thinking that the iPad will be too big to hold comfortably while lying down reading in bed - but on the plus side, it is backlit. I do have to read with the lights on in bed with the Kindle, but it's hard for my old eyes to read without some light in the room anyway.

A week or two ago I was sitting in my recliner, holding my Kindle and my arm was getting tired from holding it - I turned to my husband and commented that the Kindle is a lot lighter than the iPad, so how was it going to feel holding that 1.5 lb iPad in one hand comfortably. I can't wait to find out!!!! My iPad arrived at the distribution center 20 minutes from my house shortly after 8 am - it won't be long now!!! (I HOPE)

Susan

AZRaptor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With the iPad 16GB having 4x the capacity at only $10 more I can see it taking a large portion of the Kindle DX market, but it's still a big jump from $259 to $499 if you are just looking for an e-reader. Plus in order to have the instant download of books anywhere, like the Kindle, you will need the 3G iPad so now it's $259 vs $629 (over double!). Plus some will still have eye strain from long hours reading on an iPad type screen over an eInk screen (my wife being one of them).

I, on the other hand, can read a computer screen for hours on end, and when looking at the Kindle DX the iPad was an easy sell for me. I've already downloaded the Kindle app. :D

AZRaptor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm, no "edit post" function.

I also just wanted to clarify the $259 Kindle price was for the Kindle 2. Also the 3G iPad is a minimum $15/month while the Kindle's download access is free. I understand why there has to be a charge for the iPad's 3G access (tons more data being sent across the network) but again, it is another knock against it for those looking for a simple e-reader.

For those of you in Nook/iPad homes I heard B&N is coming out with a Nook app for the iPad also, but I don't think it's available yet.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea I don't think anyone is going to buy the ipad just to be a reader. I'm not such a huge reader so I would never buy a kindle. But for those like me that will be using the ipad for lots of other things, having the reader option works very well and will probably get me to buy a few books where I wouldn't have before.

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We are now (or hopefully soon... still waiting on the man in brown to knock on the door) an iPad/Kindle household. The Mrs. got a Kindle at the beginning of the year. She really likes it... but she has been stating lately that she wishes she would have waited for the iPad. We might have to pick up a 2nd iPad for her here soon.

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is pretty substantial. When sitting and reading a book I usually have it in my lap... When laying down and reading a book I usually have it laying down next to me or on my tummy. With the iPad... Nothing has changed... I read from it the exact same way. It does have the weight of a decent sized hardcover book... probably just a little less. It definitely weighs more than a small paperback though.

AZRaptor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The weight on the iPad doesn't bother me as I usually have it on my lap or laying on the bed while I read laying on my stomach. Even the kindle is too heavy for laying on my back and reading while holding it up in the air for any decent length reading session.

19hole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a great app for the iPad. It works perfectly. There are quite a few books that the iBook Store doesn't have that are available at Amazon via the Kindle Store.

Most reactions

Latest posts