What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad3 with dlink dir505 and a USB external hard drive???

garyMD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello!!! I am a proud owner of a very slightly used iPad3 32GB with 3G and so far I'm very happy with it...

I plan to make this my defacto laptop now and I have some ideas in mind. Don't know if it will work though...

The Luvvitt bluetooth keyboard seems to be a great addition so I'll add that...

The biggest question is using an external drive... The largest wireless external drive is the Seagate Satellite 500GB wireless drive...

I stumbled upon the DLink dir-505. It's a wall plug router/charger/USB drive thingy and you supposedly can plug in any USB drive like thumb drives and still access the data without any issues...

Now the question is: Are there any members with this set-up?? Any experience/issues/problems encountered???

If this set up indeed works then my iPad will be the most portable computer there is!!!!!! If you're out of the house and simply want to surf/email then just bring the iPad... If you want to work for long hours then attach the bluetooth keyboard and finally if you want to watch a movie or what-not then hook up the external drive!!!!!!

Your thoughts are most welcome!!!!!

OP
G

garyMD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My apologies!!! I was too excited to post away!!!

I'm now looking at the sticky thread and never knew the possibilities...

dennisparrott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
garyMD - you might also look into the iUSBport (aka CloudFTP) from HyperDrive.

it is a little gadget that presents as a WiFi connection to the iPad and has a USB port for connecting to a hard drive or flash drive. it will stream/FTP data to and from the iPad.

i have one and it works fine. i have a 1TB Western Digital "pocket"-sized hard drive with movies and other media on it.

works great and does not require a jailbreak.

dennisparrott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh...

I should give this a go then!!! Thanks dennisparrott!!!!!

I should tell you that it works great for "side loading" content to/from your iDevice. It isn't so good at helping with one use case I have: moving camera content to a hard drive. I would like to be able to empty the flash memory cards for my cameras using a hard drive and my iPad. The cloudftp will now do it but it seems painfully slow.

Want to watch a movie? Shuffle PDFs back and forth? Awesome. Empty your 32gb SD card? Be prepared to be bored for a while.

lecycliste

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anybody discovered a quick way to move sd/cf card image files to wireless NAS with an iPad in between?

I've seen a couple references to slow iUSBport performance for this, and wondered about any alternatives. Thanks for any and all info.

Most reactions

Latest posts