What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad3 not switching on

Fantasticlees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello all. unfortunately my ipad 3 will not switch on. ive had it a while now and it has been working fine though sometimes when i accidentally double press the screen, it minimises which is aggrevating and i wasnt sure if it should do that . anyway thats not why im posting. (hehe i dont have to worry about that now, i know but lol would rather :) ). basically when i plug in the charging lead i just get a black screen with a battery icon appearing with left bit red and a lightening symbol underneath. after a few seconds it disappears. now i recently purchased (2 weeks back) an unbranded charging usb cable because i wanted to not be as restricted as i was using the short 'apple' brand one. it was fine until yesterday. i have been switching between the cables upstairs and downstairs and well it wont switch on with the short 'apple' charging cable either. in anybodys experience is there a solution or do i now have a brick? thanks all in advance.

Last edited:

Junior

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
macaddictionblog.wordpress.com
Sounds like the battery isn't charging.

Could be one of two things:

1- Battery is faulty
2- That no-name brand USB cable you're using isn't working. Buy and/or borrow another "Apple" USB cable to charge it and report back.

The cheaper option is the 2nd one. I've seen faulty cables pretty often, so it's not uncommon.

InHisName

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also consider, your wall wart may have failed. Borrow both cable and wart from friend. 15minutesof charging should show a larger % full than at start. The same or less, means its not charging.

Sent from my iPad using iPF, still lots room left in 64GB

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since this is an iPad 3rd generation you have it still falls under Apple's 1 year warranty. If nothing works for you I would make an appointment at an Apple store (if you have one near you). That may be your best bet.

OP
F

Fantasticlees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay dokies..right ..reply 1.. Helpful, thankyou very much. Yes, i tried the original short lead in it which did still work before i got the longer lead. So i dont think its a charging lead thing unless the longer lead has somehow damaged the connection?
Reply 2.. Hmm not so sure but well thanks for replying.
Reply 3.. No, thankYOU for your constructive comment. Hope you never get to a situation where you dont feel able to turn to people for advice when something goes wrong. Forums are for advice and common interests. I came hoping for advice. If your post was aimed at a reply post my apologies but your reply was not specific. Try and be happy with the world. An ounce of doom and gloom transferred can become a tonne when it spreads.
Reply 4.. Thanks mod, yup i was thinking i would have to turn to the mighty apple store. Just thought there might be a trick or something i missed to get it working.

As an update, my ipad has started working again, funny old thing. I had left it downstairs in my lounge in for what can be called a stackload of hours with the short lead and nothing happened when i went back and tried to switch it on. When i posted using my pc, i even plugged it into the usb hub and nothing happened except the battery symbol. Out of frustration i left it and went to bed. Well this morning, when i opened the smart cover and pressed on, well it started right up. It seems that it is only when i post on forums about problems that i am having and enquire about solutions that things happen. Very weird. Anyway, thanks everybody for taking the time to answer.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts