What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad3 not level?

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have a couple of apps that rely on the built-in motion sensor to determine whether the tablet is perfectly horizontal. In every case, the indicated "level" is off by half a degree or so. This is especially irritating with a camera app that's supposed to help you take photos with level horizons.

Has anyone else had this problem? Did Apple fix the unit under warranty?

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a couple of apps that rely on the built-in motion sensor to determine whether the tablet is perfectly horizontal. In every case, the indicated "level" is off by half a degree or so. This is especially irritating with a camera app that's supposed to help you take photos with level horizons.

Has anyone else had this problem? Did Apple fix the unit under warranty?

The following link will give you an idea of the use and capability of the inbuilt gyroscope in your iPad.What is the gyroscope inside the iPad 2 and what?s in it for you | Stuff-Review It makes the iPad motion-capable for usefulness in games and orientation of the iPad itself. I think it's rather doubtful it will achieve the horizontal siting accuracy that you are looking for. A half to one degree error does not sound too bad to me, even for photography IMHO

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd like to know exactly how you are determining that it is off? What app are you referring to?

OP
LannyC

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Example: the photo app Camera Awesome has a horizon line that turns green when the camera is level. This could be a great aid to outdoor photography. However, it's unacceptably tilted when comparing the scene's true horizon to the bottom edge of the image. This error is perfectly repeatable--it isn't vagueness, it's misalignment of the sensor.

I just wanted to know if anyone got satisfaction for this flaw under warranty.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not trying to disagree; I want to understand. I took some shots with Camera! Is this the kind if thing you are referring to? Definitely repeatable.

Attachments

• image-1298905051.jpg
    image-1298905051.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 270
OP
LannyC

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Exactly! The worst case, of course, is a shot with the ocean in the background. On vacation with a new iPad, I trusted the green line...and had to fix every beach photo when I got back home.

InHisName

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I searched for Awesome Camera and tried this. Awesome it works for me! But only in portrait mode. Is there a way to switch it to landscape mode ? This might be a keeper to replace stock 'camera'.

Sent from my iPad using iPF, still lots room left in 64GB

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly! The worst case, of course, is a shot with the ocean in the background. On vacation with a new iPad, I trusted the green line...and had to fix every beach photo when I got back home.

Well maybe it could be the problem with "the green line". Maybe the app is trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. From what I can see, the inbuilt gyroscope is there to recognise the up/down/sideways aspect of the iPad and which direction you are moving. I believe there is no guarantee in the specs that there will be some horizontal or vertical alignment accuracy. Apps sometimes promise more than they can deliver IMO. Myself, I just align the ocean horizon with the edge of the iPad as best I can judge. And then, for important photos, use a good editing app to straighten, crop etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Example: the photo app Camera Awesome has a horizon line that turns green when the camera is level. This could be a great aid to outdoor photography. However, it's unacceptably tilted when comparing the scene's true horizon to the bottom edge of the image. This error is perfectly repeatable--it isn't vagueness, it's misalignment of the sensor.

I just wanted to know if anyone got satisfaction for this flaw under warranty.

It probably has more to do with the camera sensor position relative to the body of the iPad and the gyroscope. There are complaints of the same nature with the iPhone 5.

Most reactions

Latest posts