What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad2 update to 5.1 and calendar issue

janetz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a groomer and all my appts were on my calendar on my ipad yesterday but after the update
they dissappeared. Anyone know how to get them back. HELP PLEASE

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you make a backup before updating? If so,open iTunes and right click on your ipad in the column on the left under devices.Then select "restore from backup".Your goodies should return.

Last edited:

LaLaLara

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Calendar has lost entries after ios 5.1 upgrade

I have the same issue, I upgraded to ios5.1 and my calendar has lost all current entries. Interestingly it is showing entries which I deleted weeks ago, which is no use to me whatsoever. If anyone has any suggestions on a fix I would be really grateful. I didn't back up BTW.

LaLaLara

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there. My calendar has the iCloud checked on it and also in settings the iCloud calendar is checked. Although it has just occurred to me, if I updated to 5.1 on my iPad, do i also have to change something on my PC iTunes account as well? I am new to all this, so please bear with me! :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok.

Go to icloud.com on a computer and check to see if your events are good there. If they are, turn off the Calendar in the iCloud settings on the iPad. Say yes when it asks if you want to delete them. It will only delete them from the iPad, not iCloud. Then turn it back on.

With a bit of luck that will straighten everything out on the iPad. You can try the same thing in the computer's iCloud settings if it is having problems

LaLaLara

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello there, thank you so much for responding so quickly! I have gone to iCloud.com on my pc but it is showing nothing at all in my calendar, which is even *less* than what is showing on my iPad calendar! If I go to iCloud.com on the iPad it asks me to "set up iCloud on this device". I'm really not sure what to do next but I am so upset that I have lost all my calendar notes, including entries I put in there in my holiday journal. Any further ideas? Thank you in advance, I do appreciate it very much.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you were not syncing online (and it seems you were not) and you have not been backing up then there is no way to retrieve the lost events.

To keep from losing your new stuff, go ahead and set up iCloud on your iPad. When/if it asks what to do with the data select Merge or Keep (not delete).

It is a painful lesson, but no device or computer is proof from data loss. Always keep backups of important information.

LaLaLara

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Um, I think I need a lesson in syncing and backing up, not sure I really know the difference! I do sync my iPad with iTunes on my pc every week or so, does that make any difference? Would I be able to retrieve the calendar data from there?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is a good chance you have backups on iTunes then. If you have not synced since you lost the calendars there is a chance to retrieve the data. It's an all or nothing proposition though. You will turn back the clock in every app on the iPad. Any events or contacts you've added since that backup will be lost.

First, open iTunes, go to Preferences, the Devices tab and check to see if you have any backup files. If the file is from before you lost your calendars, it should be worth a try. There should be a checkmark to turn off auto-syncing. Do this if you're going ahead with the restore.

You'll want to copy any documents on your iPad to the computer, via email or another method. Be sure to go through all your apps and make sure important stuff is saved off the iPad. You do not need to worry about Apple Purchased media. If you lose that (and you should not) you can download it again for free.

Now plug your iPad into the computer. In iTunes right click on the iPad under the Devices list and choose Restore from Backup. Choose the backup.

With some luck you'll have your calendar entries back when it is finished.

There is no guarantee this will work, or not cause you to lose even more data; but it is all I can offer.

Good luck.

LaLaLara

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for that! I will give it a try tomorrow when I am more awake and will report back! Have a good evening!

JamCot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have had iCloud back ups switched on for a while now and everything between my phone and iPad calendar has always been fine. However, I updated to ios 5.1 last night and all of calendar entries seem to have been pulled forward by a day. For example I had an entry for a reminder of an event set for tomorrow but since the update, it is now showing on today's date. This is the same for all of my entries. Can anyone advise if they have had a similar issue after the iOS 5.1 update? Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Check your timezone settings, both Date & Time under General, and Time Zone Support under Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

If these are correct go to icloud.com on a computer and see if your settings there are also wrong. If they are right try turning off Calendars in iCloud settings on the iPad, let it delete events from the iPad, then turn it back on.

JamCot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are an utter star. My iCloud setting was on Pacific time not GMT. Weird though as it was fine before yesterday. I was at the point of reentering them all. Thank you very much for your help with this. Sorry if this was something really trivial that I should have known about. Many thanks.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

There was a daylights saving time glitch that affected some people. It shifted their timezone forward instead of the time itself. From the sounds of it you may have been one of the lucky few to experience it. Though it sounds like you skipped more than a couple timezones.

Most reactions