What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad2 storage

kpbooth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just backed up my iPad2 to iCloud. It took p less than 1GB. When I checked the storage on the device, I am showing 12.5GB used. I don't have any music or video files stored on the device. I do have some apps, but not 12GB worth. How can I find out what is hogging my space?

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
kpbooth said:
Just backed up my iPad2 to iCloud. It took p less than 1GB. When I checked the storage on the device, I am showing 12.5GB used. I don't have any music or video files stored on the device. I do have some apps, but not 12GB worth. How can I find out what is hogging my space?

Run settings app. Choose general, usage, storage. This will show each app and th storage I is using. Note the initial display will be for just a few apps. Tap show all.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As for the difference in your iCloud backup, iCloud does not back up the apps themselves, just their data. The apps are already in the App Store, so Apple doesn't need to copy them online again in order for them to be restored to the iPad as needed. This is also true of your other iTunes purchased media. None of it counts against your iCloud storage (not even Movies since 5.1).

Without that, your 5GB of iCloud would be gone almost before you could finish setting it up. ;)

eKindom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As for the difference in your iCloud backup, iCloud does not back up the apps themselves, just their data. The apps are already in the App Store, so Apple doesn't need to copy them online again in order for them to be restored to the iPad as needed. This is also true of your other iTunes purchased media. None of it counts against your iCloud storage (not even Movies since 5.1).

Without that, your 5GB of iCloud would be gone almost before you could finish setting it up. ;)
i do agree with you

Jaymonie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, it's like iCloud doesn't let u backup over 3G, you gotta be on wifi to backup yeah? Haven't had wifi in days because of my location and can't backup or access iCloud.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi guys, it's like iCloud doesn't let u backup over 3G, you gotta be on wifi to backup yeah? Haven't had wifi in days because of my location and can't backup or access iCloud.

I'm not absolutely certain about this, because my iPad does not have 3G, but:

Your iPad will not automatically update over 3G. It won't even auto-backup over wi-fi unless it is plugged into a charger.

However, you can force backups, and that 'might' work over 3G.

Go into your iCloud settings and select Storage & Backups. You'll see a Back Up Now button. Before you select it tap the Manage Storage button and select your device from the Backups list. You'll see how much storage your current backup is taking, and how much the next backup will take. The difference is the minimum amount of data you'll be using on your 3G connection.

Other than that it is difficult to tell how much data backing up will use. It is smart, so it won't be the full size of the backup file; but depending on how many changes you've made since the last backup it could be a good sized portion of that file.

You'll want to keep these two things in mind, and your plan's data usage limits.

Anyway, with a little luck the Back Up Now button should work.

If it does not the only other thing I can suggest is to go to a free hotspot (when you finally get near one) and then force the backup. Unless your backup is huge it should finish by the time you've had a cup of coffee and snack.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts