What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad2 random reboots

Brasstown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently I installed the latest upgrade OS and I am getting random reboots. Has happened with Safari, words with friends and other assorted apps. Kind of a pain as sometimes the app I was running loses the last entry and reverts to a previous entry.

Previous update seemed to solve the problem that a earlier version had problems with the random reboot. Now the new OS (7.1.2) has the same problems as IOS 5.

Anybody have a clue?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have not restarted your iPad since the update, do so. Or try a hard reset; hold down the power and home button until the apple logo appears.

This helps most of the time.

OP
B

Brasstown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have not restarted your iPad since the update, do so. Or try a hard reset; hold down the power and home button until the apple logo appears.

This helps most of the time.

Not this time. Did all the common things and hard reset. Had 2 reboots last night while doing words w/friends. Thanks anyway.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like the install didn't go well. You may have to restore the iPad. Hopefully restoring from a backup will work. If not you'll need to do a clean restore (probably using iTunes on a computer) and re-add everything manually.

I hope it does not come to that, but I don't have many other ideas to offer.

You could try a Reset All Settings in Settings > General > Reset first. It's an unlikely fix for this issue, but isn't nearly as drastic. Nothing is deleted, but you have go through most of your settings again and re-tweak them.

What model iPad are you using?

OP
B

Brasstown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like the install didn't go well. You may have to restore the iPad. Hopefully restoring from a backup will work. If not you'll need to do a clean restore (probably using iTunes on a computer) and re-add everything manually.

I hope it does not come to that, but I don't have many other ideas to offer.

You could try a Reset All Settings in Settings > General > Reset first. It's an unlikely fix for this issue, but isn't nearly as drastic. Nothing is deleted, but you have go through most of your settings again and re-tweak them.

What model iPad are you using?
Ipad2
Actually, have not had an incident today. The install was trouble free and the problem started several days after the install. Hesitate to wipe my machine and start over. Have checked all settings and everything is set properly. This happened on a earlier version of IOS and when a new version came out the problem disappeared. This new version was ok until a few days ago and then started failing except for today.
Maybe it cured itself.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's possible you have a problem app, and when you run it it's causing problems. Keep an eye on what you are doing and see if you can figure out what you're doing not too long before the trouble re-appears. If it does.

Problem apps can receive an update pretty much any time, and you'll never know why the iPad was acting up.

Also, an iPad 2 has considerably less RAM than newer iPads. This means it runs out of room quickly with bigger apps. While memory management should handle this, nothing is perfect. If you're having problems be sure to restart the iPad, or clear out some of the more recent apps from RAM.

Less RAM also means those problem apps cause problems sooner than they do on the roomier iPads. Most reboot problems are cause by apps slowly eating away at RAM, until there isn't enough to go around.

aseangm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
actually I am facing a problem since upgrading (only mine started with 7.1.1 and 7.2 hasn't fixed it) as well, only mine is internet connection - if I access the internet on one program, such as this forum and then go to another or the browser, I get a "not connected to internet" warning. It also happens between wifi stations - such as it works at home, then I go to work and it doesn't , not always getting "not connected..." warning, but basically the system is not reading the internet, although wifi signal is full. This happens on iPhone and iPad, but haven't experienced with MacBook? The only way I can get things to reset is to do hard reboot. System settings all ok. Can't be wifi or routers as it's not confined to one or two, it happens at any connection sources, but not 3G.

Anyone else have any other problems. Apple doesn't show any support topics that eliminate the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
B

Brasstown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's possible you have a problem app, and when you run it it's causing problems. Keep an eye on what you are doing and see if you can figure out what you're doing not too long before the trouble re-appears. If it does.

Problem apps can receive an update pretty much any time, and you'll never know why the iPad was acting up.

Also, an iPad 2 has considerably less RAM than newer iPads. This means it runs out of room quickly with bigger apps. While memory management should handle this, nothing is perfect. If you're having problems be sure to restart the iPad, or clear out some of the more recent apps from RAM.

Less RAM also means those problem apps cause problems sooner than they do on the roomier iPads. Most reboot problems are cause by apps slowly eating away at RAM, until there isn't enough to go around.

Yes, I know of the Ram issue and when I am done with an app I get it out of BG. It seems that it is a transient issue. I use a couple of different browsers other then Safari. Diego and Adblocker. Adblocker is a small footprint browser and does not allow advertising to intrude. A bit primitive but fast. Diego is a good browser and faster then Safari and advertising is not quite as intrusive. When I use these apps I have no unnecessary apps sitting in BG. I have had all 3 of them freeze and then recover. But Diigo when it has a problem and I have stopped it and pushed it out of BG and restarted it will come back and tell me that it detected an error and ask if I will send the error data back to them. Ok feature...

Safari has become a advertising honeypot and I am beginningto despise it and use the other ones more and more. I have cleaned out the history and cookies on a regular basis and tried to not receive cookies and some sites balk at this.

Words with friends is a memory hog as far as I am concerned an when I use it I make sure RAM is cleaned out.

I have made my living for over 40 years in IT and have seen much sloppy programming. I suspect that app developers are victims of the "get it to market faster" syndrome and fall into the 90/10% trap. The issue of when a program is finished with a segment of memory and not releasing it back to the OS is a common oversight and has been around forever.

Just My Humble Opinion

Most reactions